EXECUTIVE REORGANIZATION ORDER (EXCERPT)
E.R.O. No. 1995-9
18.1691 Department of management and budget; planning and effecting a unified and integrated structure for information processing systems and related services for all executive branch agencies.
WHEREAS, Article V, Section 2, of the Constitution of the State of Michigan of 1963 empowers the Governor to make changes in the organization of the Executive Branch or in the assignment of functions among its units which he considers necessary for efficient administration; and
WHEREAS, it is necessary in the interests of efficient administration and effectiveness of government to effect changes in the organization of the Executive Branch of government; and
WHEREAS, Section 141 of Act No. 431 of the Public Acts of 1984 ("Act 431"), as amended, being Section 18.1141 of the Michigan Compiled Laws, directs the Department of Management and Budget to survey and examine the administrative organization and operations of state agencies to secure greater administrative and program efficiency and economy; and
WHEREAS, attaining this goal requires the application of modern and effective management practices, and sound planning for and the development of responsive information processing systems; and
WHEREAS, Act 431 requires that the Department of Management and Budget minimize the duplication of activities among state agencies and between state agencies and businesses, and to effect a better organization and consolidation of functions among state agencies; and
WHEREAS, Section 269 of Act No. 431 of the Public Acts of 1984, as amended, being Section 18.1269 of the Michigan Compiled Laws, requires the Department of Management and Budget to establish, administer, operate or provide centralized services when advantageous to the state; and
WHEREAS, it is necessary in the interests of efficient administration and effectiveness of government to effect changes in the organization and distribution of information processing resources in Executive Branch agencies.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, John Engler, Governor of the State of Michigan, pursuant to the powers vested in me by the Michigan Constitution of 1963 and the laws of the State of Michigan, do hereby order the following:
1. The Department of Management and Budget shall plan for and effect a unified and integrated structure for information processing systems and related services for all Executive Branch agencies.
2. The Department of Management and Budget shall continuously maintain and update statewide plans for such integrated and unified structures to assure the effective and efficient use and administration of information processing resources.
3. The Department of Management and Budget shall perform continuing analyses and evaluations of information processing functions and activities throughout Executive Branch agencies and effect changes and modifications which improve administrative and operational effectiveness and efficiency.
4. The Department of Management and Budget shall be responsible for defining those resources which comprise information processing and related services and for the approval of all information processing equipment, software, systems and services to be acquired by Executive Branch agencies.
5. The Department of Management and Budget shall, as deemed appropriate, draw upon staff of other Executive Branch agencies for advice and assistance in the formulation and implementation of administrative and operational plans and policies.
6. The Department of Management and Budget shall, as necessary, consolidate available information processing resources within Executive Branch agencies, in support of its mission to minimize duplication of activities, consolidate functions, and effect better organization among state agencies.
7. The Department of Management and Budget shall plan, provision, operate, maintain, and manage information processing services and systems to be used by all Executive Branch agencies.
8. The Director of the Department of Management and Budget shall provide executive direction and supervision for the implementation of any transfers of equipment, human resources, and fiscal resources from any Executive Branch agency to consolidated or centralized information processing operations.
9. The Director of the Department of Management and Budget and the Directors of Executive Branch agencies shall enter into separate memoranda of record to execute transfers of resources and any attendant responsibilities and related records, such as vendor contracts and encumbrance documents, to the Department of Management and Budget pursuant to this order.
In fulfillment of the requirements of Article V, Section 2, of the Constitution of the State of Michigan, the provisions of this Executive Order shall become effective July 17, 1995.
History: 1995, E.R.O. No. 1995-9, Eff. July 17, 1995
Compiler's Notes: For transfer of statutory authority, powers, duties, functions, and responsibilities of certain units, teams, divisions, and offices within the department of management and budget to the department of information technology by type III transfer, see E.R.O. No. 2001-1, compiled at MCL 18.41 of the Michigan compiled laws.
© 2015 Legislative Council, State of Michigan