MICHIGAN FIREWORKS SAFETY ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 256 of 2011
28.468a Citation for serious violation; fine; prosecution; payment of civil fines to department; collection proceedings.Sec. 18a.
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person who receives a citation for a serious violation, an order issued under this act, or a rule promulgated under this act shall be assessed a civil fine of not more than $1,000.00 for each violation.
(2) Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person who receives a citation for a violation of this act that is not a serious violation may be assessed a civil fine of not more than $500.00 for each violation.
(3) Subsections (1) and (2) do not apply to violations for which a specific civil fine is provided by this act.
(4) The state fire marshal may request that the prosecuting attorney for the county in which a violation of this act occurred issue a complaint and request a warrant for the prosecution of a person who commits a criminal violation of this act.
(5) All civil fines collected under this section shall be paid to the department within 15 working days after the date the penalty is ordered, not subject to further review, and credited to the fireworks safety fund.
(6) The department of treasury shall institute proceedings to collect any civil fines ordered but not paid under this act.
History: Add. 2012, Act 257, Imd. Eff. July 2, 2012
Am. 2013, Act 65, Imd. Eff. June 19, 2013
Compiler's Notes: Act 65 of 2013 did not amend this section and evidently should not have been cited as amended.
© 2015 Legislative Council, State of Michigan