Section 41-9-496Powers and duties of board generally.
The board shall have the following powers and duties:
(1) To study the cause of unsightly and unsanitary conditions within the State of Alabama and within any county or municipality thereof. Such studies shall include, but shall not be limited to, the following: litter and other unsanitary conditions over and along public streets and highways within the State of Alabama; unsanitary and unsightly conditions existing or which may hereafter exist in and around public buildings, public parks and other public places within the State of Alabama; unsightly and unsanitary conditions in and around public alleys and easements of the state or of any subdivision thereof; and rubbish, trash and waste material on and around private premises within the State of Alabama;
(2) To study the laws of the State of Alabama, the ordinances of the various municipal corporations of the State of Alabama and the rules and regulations of the various boards and agencies of the State of Alabama as the same pertains to litter, rubbish, waste and other unsightly and unsanitary conditions;
(3) To conduct or cause to be conducted surveys, routine observations and inspections for the purpose of finding and identifying the causes and sources of unsightly and unsanitary conditions within the state;
(4) To study and report from time to time all such matters and things as may be referred to them by the Governor, the Legislature or any other board, agency or political subdivision of the state;
(5) To encourage through mass media and through the various departments and agencies of the State of Alabama and through the various civic and governmental organizations of the State of Alabama the initiation and execution by governmental agencies, civic clubs and associations, merchants and property owners' associations of programs to enhance the cleanliness and beautification of the State of Alabama and its environs;
(6) To counsel with governmental agencies and private individuals when requested to do so on matters and things concerning the cleanliness and beautification of the State of Alabama and its environs;
(7) To counsel with nurseries, garden shops, landscaping establishments, garden clubs and private developers on a voluntary basis for the purpose of encouraging a comprehensive, coordinated program for beautification of private and public premises within the State of Alabama;
(8) To sponsor contests, offer prizes and confer awards to individuals and institutions for outstanding contributions to beautification in the State of Alabama; and
(9) To perform such other and additional duties as the Legislature and the Governor may from time to time direct.
(Acts 1969, No. 1115, p. 2050, §8.)