METROPOLITAN COUNCILS ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 292 of 1989
124.695 Metropolitan region council; formation; adoption of articles of incorporation; conditions; establishment of metropolitan region council board; appointment of representatives; powers and duties.
(1) Two or more qualified counties in combination with one another and with 1 or more qualified cities may form a metropolitan region council by adopting articles of incorporation in accordance with sections 47 and 49, if the county commission of each qualified county seeking to participate, and the city council of each qualified city seeking to participate, does the following:
(a) Adopts a resolution declaring an intent to participate in the formation of that authority.
(b) Adopts articles of incorporation in accordance with sections 47 and 49.
(2) Upon adoption of the resolutions described in subsection (1)(a), the participating qualified counties and qualified cities of a metropolitan region council shall establish a metropolitan region council board. The chief executive officer of each participating qualified county and qualified city shall appoint 3 representatives to the board, with the advice and consent of the legislative body of the county or city. However, if a participating qualified county has a population greater than 2,000,000 persons, a representative shall be appointed by each of the 3 largest geographical conferences established in the county before January 1, 1999 under the urban cooperation act of 1967, 1967 (Ex Sess) PA 7, MCL 124.501 to 124.512.
(3) A metropolitan region council is a public corporate body with power to sue and be sued in any court of the state.
(4) A metropolitan region council is an authority under section 6 of article IX of the state constitution of 1963.
(5) A metropolitan region council possesses all the powers necessary for carrying out the purposes of its formation. The enumeration of specific powers in this act shall not be construed as a limitation on the general powers of a council, consistent with its articles.
History: Add. 1998, Act 375, Imd. Eff. Oct. 20, 1998
© 2015 Legislative Council, State of Michigan