ASIAN PACIFIC AMERICAN AFFAIRS COMMISSION ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 536 of 2008
37.125 Asian Pacific American affairs commission; creation; election of chairperson and vice-chairperson; terms; vacancy; appointment.Sec. 5.
(1) The Asian Pacific American affairs commission is created within the department of energy, labor, and economic growth. The commission shall exercise its powers and duties independently of the department except for budget, procurement, and housekeeping functions. The commission shall consist of 15 members to be appointed by the governor with the advice and consent of the senate. The commission shall elect a chairperson and vice-chairperson annually and shall elect other officers from its members as the commission considers appropriate.
(2) Members of the commission shall be individuals who have a particular interest or expertise in Asian or Pacific American concerns.
(3) Members of the commission shall serve for a term of 3 years or until a successor is appointed, whichever is later, except that of the members first appointed, 5 shall serve for 3 years, 5 shall serve for 2 years, and 5 shall serve for 1 year.
(4) If a vacancy occurs on the commission, the governor shall make an appointment for the balance of the unexpired term in the same manner as the original appointment.
(5) The governor shall appoint the commission within 90 days after the effective date of this act.
History: 2008, Act 536, Imd. Eff. Jan. 13, 2009
Compiler's Notes: For transfer the Asian Pacific American Affairs Commission to the new Asian Pacific Affairs Commission by type III transfer, see E.R.O. No. 2009-16, compiled at MCL 445.1992.
© 2015 Legislative Council, State of Michigan