Section 41-10-396Powers of authority generally.
The authority shall have the following powers among others specified in this article:
(1) To have succession by its corporate names until dissolved as provided in this article;
(2) To institute legal proceedings in any court of competent jurisdiction to enforce its contractual, statutory and other rights; provided that the authority shall be considered an instrumentality of the State of Alabama and entitled to the sovereign immunity of the state; provided further, that any claim, demand or action against the authority, or any of its directors, officers, employees or agents arising out of their official capacities, shall be presented to the Board of Adjustment, which shall have exclusive jurisdiction of any such claim, demand or action;
(3) To have and to use a corporate seal and to alter the same at pleasure;
(4) To make and alter all needful bylaws, rules and regulations for the transaction of the authority's business and the control of its property and affairs;
(5) To acquire, improve, maintain, equip, repair, furnish and administer supercomputer and related communications equipment and facilities which the authority may determine to be necessary and not inconsistent with the provisions of this article;
(6) To make the time and resources of the supercomputer system and the other facilities and equipment of the authority available to federal, state and local governmental agencies, divisions, boards, and public corporations, including universities and other educational and research institutions and organizations; and to the businesses, industries, and others for such fees or charges as the authority shall determine to best support, promote and encourage research; and to the businesses and industries under such preferences, priorities, procedures, and policies as the board shall deem appropriate;
(7) To receive and accept from any source aid or contributions of money, property, labor or other items of value for furtherance of any of its purposes, subject to any limitations not inconsistent herewith or with the laws of this state pertaining to such contributions, including, but without limitation to, gifts or grants from any department, agency or entity of the federal, state or local government or business and industry;
(8) To procure such insurance and guarantees as the authority may deem advisable, including, but without limitation to, insurance and guarantees against any loss in connection with any of its property or assets, tangible or intangible, in such amounts and from such public or private entities as it may deem appropriate, and to pay premiums or other charges for such insurance or guarantees;
(9) To acquire by purchase, gift or any other lawful means, and to transfer, convey or cause to be conveyed to the State of Alabama, any real, personal or mixed property;
(10) To make and enter into such contracts, leases, agreements and other actions as may be necessary or desirable to accomplish any corporate purpose and to exercise any power necessary for the accomplishment of the purposes of the authority or incidental to the powers expressly set out herein;
(11) To appoint and employ such attorneys, accountants, technical consultants and other advisors, agents and independent contractors as may, in the judgment of the authority, be necessary or desirable; and
(12) To make and enter into such contracts and agreements as may be necessary to provide technical personnel and services required for the development, maintenance and operation of the supercomputer telecommunications system, and associated functions.
(Acts 1989, No. 89-704, p. 1402, §7.)