BROWNFIELD REDEVELOPMENT FINANCING ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 381 of 1996
125.2655 Designation of board by governing body; membership; trustees; applicability of subsection (2); election of chairperson, vice-chairperson, and other officers; oath; procedural rules; meetings; special meetings; removal of member; records open to public; quorum.Sec. 5.
(1) Each authority shall be under the supervision and control of a board chosen by the governing body. Subject to subsection (2), the governing body may by majority vote designate 1 of the following to constitute the board:
(a) The board of directors of the economic development corporation of the municipality established under the economic development corporations act, 1974 PA 338, MCL 125.1601 to 125.1636.
(b) The trustees of the board of a downtown development authority established under 1975 PA 197, MCL 125.1651 to 125.1681.
(c) The trustees of the board of a tax increment financing authority established under the tax increment finance authority act, 1980 PA 450, MCL 125.1801 to 125.1830.
(d) The trustees of the board of a local development financing authority established under the local development financing act, 1986 PA 281, MCL 125.2151 to 125.2174.
(e) Not less than 5 nor more than 9 persons appointed by the chief executive officer of the municipality subject to the approval of the governing body. Of the initial members appointed, an equal number, as near as practicable, shall be appointed for 1 year, 2 years, and 3 years. A member shall hold office until the member's successor is appointed and qualified. Thereafter, each member shall serve for a term of 3 years. An appointment to fill a vacancy shall be made by the chief executive officer of the municipality for the unexpired term only. Members of the board shall serve without compensation, but shall be reimbursed for reasonable actual and necessary expenses.
(2) The governing body of a municipality in which a board described in subsection (1)(b), (c), or (d) has been established shall designate the trustees of 1 of those boards to constitute the board. This subsection shall only apply in the event a board described in subsection (1)(b), (c), or (d) is authorized under subsection (1) to serve as the board of the authority.
(3) The members shall elect 1 of their membership as chairperson and another as vice-chairperson. The members may designate and elect other officers of the board as they consider necessary.
(4) Before assuming the duties of office, a member shall qualify by taking and subscribing to the oath of office provided in section 1 of article XI of the state constitution of 1963.
(5) The board shall adopt rules governing its procedure and the holding of regular meetings, subject to the approval of the governing body. Special meetings may be held when called in the manner provided in the rules of the board. Meetings of the board shall be open to the public, in accordance with the open meetings act, 1976 PA 267, MCL 15.261 to 15.275. The rules of procedure of the authority may permit a person to be appointed to the board in his or her capacity as a public official, whether appointed or elected. The rules of procedure of the authority may also provide that the member's term on the board shall expire upon expiration of the member's service as a public official. The expiration of service as a public official shall be defined to also include the public official's resignation or removal from the position as a public official.
(6) After notice and an opportunity to be heard, a member of the board appointed under subsection (1)(e) may be removed before the expiration of his or her term for cause by the governing body. Removal of a member is subject to review by the circuit court.
(7) All financial records of an authority shall be open to the public under the freedom of information act, 1976 PA 442, MCL 15.231 to 15.246.
(8) A majority of the members of the board appointed and serving shall constitute a quorum. Action may be taken by the board at a meeting upon a vote of the majority of the members present.
History: 1996, Act 381, Eff. Sept. 16, 1996
Am. 2000, Act 145, Imd. Eff. June 6, 2000
Am. 2014, Act 244, Imd. Eff. June 27, 2014
© 2015 Legislative Council, State of Michigan