Section 27-27-15Domestic mutual insurers - Authorization to transact insurance.
(a) When newly organized, a domestic mutual insurer may be authorized to transact any one of the kinds of insurance listed in the schedule contained in subsection (b) of this section.
(b) When applying for an original certificate of authority, the insurer must be otherwise qualified therefor under this title and must have received and accepted bona fide applications as to substantial insurable subjects for insurance coverage of a substantial character of the kind of insurance proposed to be transacted, must have collected in cash the full premium therefor at a rate not less than that usually charged by other insurers for comparable coverages, must have surplus funds on hand and deposited as of the date such insurance coverages are to become effective or, in lieu of such applications, premiums and surplus and may deposit surplus, all in accordance with that part of the following schedule which applies to the one kind of insurance the insurer proposes to transact:
(a) (b)(c)(d)(e)(f)(g)(h)Kind of insuranceMinimum no. of applicants acceptedMinimum no. of subjects coveredMinimum premium collectedMinimum amount of insurance each subjectMaximum amount of insurance each subject (5)Deposit of minimum surplus funds (6)Deposit of surplus in lieu (6)Life (1)500500annual$1000$2500$50,000$100,000Disability (2)500500quarterly$10 (weekly indem.)$25 (weekly indem.)$50,000$100,000Property (3)100250annual$1000$3000$100,000$200,000Casualty (4)250500annual$1000$10,000$150,000$200,000Casualty with workmen's compensation2501500quarterly$1000$10,000$200,000$300,000The following provisos are respectively applicable to the foregoing schedule and provisions as indicated by like arabic numerals appearing in such schedule:
(1) No group insurance or term policies for terms of less than 10 years shall be included;
(2) No group, blanket, or family plans of insurance shall be included. In lieu of weekly indemnity a like premium value in medical, surgical and hospital benefits may be provided. Any accidental death or dismemberment benefit provided shall not exceed $2,500.00;
(3) Only insurance of the owner's interest in real property may be included;
(4) Must include insurance of legal liability for bodily injury and property damage, to which the maximum and minimum insured amounts apply;
(5) The maximums provided for in column (f) are net of applicable reinsurance; and
(6) The deposit of surplus in the amount specified in columns (g) and (h) must thereafter be maintained unimpaired. The deposit is subject to the provisions of Chapter 6 of this title.
(Acts 1971, No. 407, p. 707, §511.)