RECREATIONAL AUTHORITIES ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 321 of 2000
123.1137 Board of directors; vacancy; quorum; voting; reimbursement for expenses; conduct of public meeting; availability of writing; election of officers; adoption of bylaws.
(1) A vacancy occurs on the board on the happening of any of the events set forth in section 3 of 1846 RS 15, MCL 201.3. Appointed members of the board, if any, may be removed by the appointing authority for good cause after a public hearing. Vacancies shall be filled in the same manner as the original appointment for the unexpired term.
(2) A majority of the members of the board constitutes a quorum for the purpose of conducting business and exercising the powers of an authority. Official action may be taken by an authority upon the vote of a majority of the board members present, unless the authority adopts bylaws requiring a larger number.
(3) A member of the board shall not receive compensation for services as a member of the board but is entitled to reimbursement for reasonable expenses, including expenses for travel previously authorized by the board, incurred in the discharge of his or her duties.
(4) The business that an authority may perform shall be conducted at a public meeting of the authority held in compliance with the open meetings act, 1976 PA 267, MCL 15.261 to 15.275. Public notice of the time, date, and place of the meeting shall be given in the manner required by the open meetings act, 1976 PA 267, MCL 15.261 to 15.275.
(5) A writing prepared, owned, or used by an authority in the performance of an official function shall be made available in compliance with the freedom of information act, 1976 PA 442, MCL 15.231 to 15.246.
(6) At its first meeting, a board shall elect a chairperson, a secretary, a treasurer, and any other officers it considers necessary. A board shall meet at least quarterly.
(7) A board may adopt bylaws to govern its procedures.
History: 2000, Act 321, Eff. Dec. 1, 2000
© 2015 Legislative Council, State of Michigan