Section 23-1-21.2Authority of director with regard to public transportation.
The director, acting alone or through, and in cooperation with local entities, is hereby delegated the authority to:
(1) Enter into agreements with local entities to provide public transportation and to administer any program or programs, whether rural or urban, relative to public transportation resulting from federal transportation legislation. This shall include, but not be limited to, applying for, accepting, and expending federal public transportation funds in accordance with applicable federal laws and regulations.
(2) Enter into agreements with the United States for federal assistance for public transportation.
(3) Enter into agreements with local entities to perform and/or cooperate in the performance of transportation planning for public transportation improvements. However, the director shall not perform such planning until such time as the local entities affected enter into agreement with the director to carry out a planning process.
(4) Provide any available technical assistance to local entities for formulating a program of public transportation projects to assure that said projects are in accordance with the comprehensive transportation planning process where such process is established and is a prerequisite for federal assistance.
(5) Administer any state funds authorized from time to time by the Legislature for the purpose of public transportation.
(6) Develop and promulgate such rules and regulations as are determined necessary to insure compliance with federal laws and regulations.
(Acts 1982, No. 82-456, p. 709, §2; Acts 1985, No. 85-753, p. 1252, §1.)