MICHIGAN LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS MEMORIAL ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 177 of 2004
28.784 Michigan law enforcement officers memorial monument fund commission; membership; appointment; terms; vacancy; removal; meetings; business conducted at public meetings; availability of writings; reimbursement.
(1) The Michigan law enforcement officers memorial monument fund commission is created as a type II agency in the department of management and budget. The commission is the governing body of the monument fund. The commission shall consist of all of the following:
(a) The state treasurer or his or her designee.
(b) The attorney general or his or her designee.
(c) Five members appointed by the governor as follows:
(i) One member who is a police chaplain who has 5 or more years' experience as a police chaplain.
(ii) One member nominated by the Michigan state troopers association who is a survivor of an officer of the Michigan state police killed while on duty.
(iii) One member nominated by the executive director of the sheriff's association of Michigan who is a survivor of an officer of a county sheriff's department killed while on duty.
(iv) One member nominated by the chief of police of a municipal police department of a municipality with a population of more than 500,000 who is a survivor of an officer of that police department killed while on duty.
(v) One member nominated by the executive director of the Michigan fraternal order of police who is a survivor of an officer killed while on duty who served with a municipal police department of a municipality with a population of 500,000 or less.
(2) Members of the commission appointed under subsection (1)(c) shall serve for terms of 4 years or until a successor is appointed, whichever is later. If a vacancy occurs on the commission, the vacancy shall be filled in the same manner as the original appointment. The governor may remove a member of the commission for incompetency, dereliction of duty, malfeasance, misfeasance, or nonfeasance in office, or any other good cause.
(3) The commission shall initially convene within 6 months after the first deposit of money in the monument fund. The commission shall meet often enough to expedite the completion of the monument as prescribed in section 5. At the first meeting, the commission shall elect from among its members a chairperson and other officers as it considers necessary or appropriate. A majority of the members of the commission constitute a quorum for conducting business.
(4) The commission shall conduct its business at public meetings held in compliance with the open meetings act, 1976 PA 267, MCL 15.261 to 15.275. A writing prepared, owned, used, in the possession of, or retained by the commission in the performance of an official function shall be available to the public in compliance with the freedom of information act, 1976 PA 442, MCL 15.231 to 15.246.
(5) Members of the commission shall serve without compensation. However, members of the commission may be reimbursed for their actual and necessary expenses incurred in the performance of their official duties as members of the commission.
History: 2004, Act 177, Imd. Eff. July 1, 2004
© 2015 Legislative Council, State of Michigan