BUILDING AUTHORITIES (EXCERPT)
Act 31 of 1948 (1st Ex. Sess.)
123.955a Joint building authority; commissioners; election and terms of members; chairperson; secretary; bylaws and rules of procedure; elected official as member; conducting business at public meeting; notice of meeting.
(1) A joint building authority under section 2 incorporated by a county and a city, township, or village shall be directed and governed by a commission of 3 members, 1 to be elected by the county board of commissioners of the county, 1 to be elected by the legislative body of the city, township, or village, and 1 to be elected by the joint action of the county board of commissioners of the county and the legislative body of the city, township, or village. If the legislative bodies are unable to agree upon a choice for the third member within 60 days after the election of the first member, then the third member shall be appointed by the governor.
(2) A joint building authority under section 2 not described by subsection (1) shall be directed and governed by a commission consisting of 1 member elected by the legislative body of each incorporating unit and such other members as may be provided by the articles of incorporation.
(3) The commissioners of a joint building authority under section 2 shall serve for 4-year terms.
(4) The commission shall designate 1 member as chairperson and 1 as secretary, and shall adopt bylaws and rules of procedure. A member of the commission of a joint building authority shall not be an elected official of the county, city, township, or village.
(5) The business that the commission of any building authority performs shall be conducted at a public meeting of the board of commissioners held in compliance with the open meetings act, Act No. 267 of the Public Acts of 1976, being sections 15.261 to 15.275 of the Michigan Compiled Laws. Public notice of the time, date, and place of the meeting shall be given in the manner required by Act No. 267 of the Public Acts of 1976.
History: 1948, 1st Ex. Sess., Act 31, Imd. Eff. May 10, 1948
CL 1948, 123.955a
Am. 1968, Act 96, Imd. Eff. June 6, 1968
Am. 1973, Act 110, Imd. Eff. Aug. 19, 1973
Am. 1977, Act 181, Imd. Eff. Nov. 17, 1977
Am. 1995, Act 147, Imd. Eff. July 11, 1995
© 2015 Legislative Council, State of Michigan