For purposes of this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings respectively ascribed to them in this section, except where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:
(1) DEALER. A person licensed by the Alabama Manufactured Housing Commission as a manufactured home retailer and engaged regularly in the business of buying, selling, or exchanging manufactured homes in this state, and having an established place of business.
(2) DEPARTMENT. The Department of Revenue of this state.
(3) DESIGNATED AGENT. Each judge of probate, commissioner of licenses, director of revenue, or other county official in this state authorized and required by law to issue motor vehicle license tags, unless otherwise provided by law, who may perform his or her duties under this chapter personally or through his or her deputies, or such other persons located in this state, as the department may designate. The term shall also mean those dealers as herein defined who are appointed by the department as provided in Section 32-20-22 to perform the duties of designated agent for the purposes of this chapter. The dealers may perform their duties under this chapter either personally or through any of their officers or employees.
(4) LIEN. An encumbrance upon a manufactured home as security for payment of a debt.
(5) LIENHOLDER. Any person, firm, copartnership, association, or corporation holding a lien as herein defined on a manufactured home.
(6) MANUFACTURER. Any person regularly engaged in the business of manufacturing, constructing, or assembling manufactured homes, either within or without this state.
(7) MANUFACTURED HOME. A structure defined by and constructed in accordance with the National Manufactured Housing Construction and Safety Standards Act of 1974 and as amended by the Manufactured Housing Improvement Act of 2000, Title VI 42 U.S. Code, Section 603(6). Manufactured home means a structure, transportable in one or more sections, in the traveling mode, is eight body feet or more in width and 40 body feet or more in length, or, when erected on site, is 320 or more square feet, and which is built on a permanent chassis and designed to be used as a dwelling, with or without a permanent foundation, when connected to the required utilities, including the plumbing, heating, air conditioning, and electrical systems. It may be used as a place of residence, business, profession, trade, or for any other purpose, by the owner, lessee, or assigns and may consist of one or more units that can be attached or joined together. A manufactured home bears a HUD Seal affixed to the rear of the home.
(8) MANUFACTURED HOME IDENTIFICATION NUMBER. The numbers and letters on a manufactured home designated by the manufacturer or assigned by the department for the purpose of identifying the manufactured home.
(9) MODULAR HOME. A factory built home consisting of units designed to be incorporated at a building site on a permanent foundation into a permanent structure to be used for residential purposes and which bears an insignia that indicates compliance with the codes and requirements established by the Alabama Manufactured Housing Commission which are in accordance with the International Residential Building Code.
(10) NEW MANUFACTURED HOME. A manufactured home that has never been the subject of a first sale for use and includes a manufactured home delivered to a customer that was subsequently returned to the dealer without a certificate of title being issued on the manufactured home.
(11) OWNER. A person, other than a lienholder, having the property in or title to a manufactured home. The term includes a person entitled to the use and possession of a manufactured home subject to a security interest in another person, but excludes a lessee under a lease not intended as security. Under any lease-purchase or installment sales agreement where a governmental agency, either city, county, or state, is the lessee or purchaser with a security interest or right to purchase, the lessee or purchaser shall be the owner for purposes of this chapter.
(12) PERMANENTLY AFFIXED. A manufactured home installed in accordance with the manufacturer's specifications as required by state law on the owner's land and taxed as real property.
(13) PERSON. The term shall include every natural person, firm, copartnership, association, or corporation.
(14) RESIDENT ADDRESS. The address in Alabama where the manufactured home is physically located.
(15) SECURITY AGREEMENT. A written agreement that reserves or creates a security interest.
(16) SECURITY INTEREST. An interest in a manufactured home reserved or created by agreement and which secures payment or performance of an obligation.
(17) STATE. A state, territory, or possession of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a province of the Dominion of Canada.
(18) USED MANUFACTURED HOME. A manufactured home that has been the subject of a first sale for use, whether within this state or elsewhere.
(Act 2009-746, p. 2236, §4.)