7511.0611 SECTION 611, PEDESTRIAN WALKWAYS AND PEDESTRIAN TUNNELS.
IFC Chapter 6 is amended by adding a section 611 to read:
PEDESTRIAN WALKWAYS AND PEDESTRIAN TUNNELS
611.1 Installation and maintenance. New pedestrian walkways and tunnels shall be constructed and maintained in conformance with the Building Code. Existing pedestrian walkways and pedestrian tunnels shall comply with the following:
1. Unless all buildings connected to them are protected throughout by approved automatic fire-extinguishing systems, pedestrian walkways and pedestrian tunnels shall, at a minimum, be separated from the interior of buildings by walls and self-closing doors constructed to form a barrier to limit the transfer of smoke.
2. The unobstructed width of pedestrian walkways and pedestrian tunnels shall not be less than 44 inches (1118 mm).
3. No combustible materials or decorations shall be located in pedestrian walkways or pedestrian tunnels. Interior wall, ceiling, and floor finishes shall comply with Chapter 8.
4. Pedestrian walkways and pedestrian tunnels that serve as required means of egress from attached buildings shall comply with Sections 1026 and 1027.
5. Pedestrian walkways and pedestrian tunnels exceeding 400 feet (122 m) in length shall be provided with means of egress so arranged that the maximum length of exit access travel to reach an exit does not exceed 200 feet (60,960 mm).
6. Means of egress from pedestrian walkways and pedestrian tunnels shall not be locked unless provisions for emergency egress are provided.