MICHIGAN VETERANS' FACILITY (EXCERPT)
Act 152 of 1885
36.2a Michigan veterans' facility; general supervision and government by board of managers; membership; qualifications; appointment; terms; oath of office; removal; compensation; vacancy; definitions.Sec. 2a.
(1) The general supervision and government of the Michigan veterans' facility is vested in a board of managers consisting of 7 members. Each member shall have demonstrated knowledge, skills, and experience in public health, business, or finance. Members shall be appointed as follows:
(a) One representative of the American legion.
(b) One representative of the veterans of foreign wars of the United States.
(c) One representative of the disabled American veterans.
(d) One representative of any other congressionally chartered veterans' organization other than those organizations identified in subdivision (a), (b), or (c).
(e) Three members who are veterans, who may or may not be a member of 1 or more congressionally chartered veterans' organizations, but shall not represent any congressionally chartered veterans' organization of which they are a member.
(2) The members shall be appointed by the governor by and with the advice and consent of the senate. Each member shall hold office for the term of 3 years from the time of his or her appointment and shall continue to hold office at the pleasure of the governor. The members enumerated in subsection (1)(a), (b), (c), and (d) shall be appointed by the governor from the original list of at least 3 individuals recommended by each respective organization.
(3) Each member of the board shall qualify by taking and filing the constitutional oath of office.
(4) The governor may remove any member of the board for misfeasance, malfeasance, or nonfeasance in office, after hearing. Missing 3 or more consecutive meetings shall be considered malfeasance and is grounds for removal.
(5) Members of the board shall serve without compensation, but shall be entitled to actual and necessary expenses incurred in attending scheduled meetings of the board of managers in accordance with the accounting laws of this state.
(6) If a vacancy occurs during the term of office of a member of the board of managers, the member's successor shall be selected from the same organization and in the same manner as the original appointment for the balance of the unexpired term.
(7) As used in this act:
(a) "Board" means the board of managers of the Michigan veterans' facility created in this section.
(b) "Veteran" means an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States.
History: Add. 2011, Act 283, Eff. Jan. 1, 2012
Compiler's Notes: For transfer of duties, responsibilities, and powers to provide assistance to state veterans home board of managers in administration of facilities from department of military and veterans affairs to Michigan veterans affairs agency, see E.R.O. No. 2013-2, compiled at MCL 32.92.
© 2015 Legislative Council, State of Michigan