EXECUTIVE REORGANIZATION ORDER (EXCERPT)
E.R.O. No. 1984-1
18.25 Governor's office for job training; transfer to department of management and budget.
WHEREAS, Article V, Section 2, of the Michigan Constitution of 1963 empowers the Governor to make changes in the organization of the Executive Branch or assignment of functions among its units which he considers necessary for efficient administration; and
WHEREAS, a well-coordinated program of occupational training and economic development is needed to increase employment opportunities for Michigan's citizens; and
WHEREAS, the resources available to the Governor to support this program are extremely limited and must be utilized as effectively and efficiently as possible; and
WHEREAS, Executive Order 1983-13 created the Governor's Office for Job Training (GOJT) and specified responsibility for programs authorized under the Job Training Partnership Act (JTPA), P.L. 97-300 of 1982, between the GOJT and the Michigan Department of Labor (MDOL).
NOW, THEREFORE, I, JAMES J. BLANCHARD, Governor of the State of Michigan, pursuant to the authority vested in me by the Constitution of the State of Michigan of 1963, Article V, Section 2, and mandates of Public Law 97-300, do hereby order the following:
A. That GOJT is hereby transferred from the Executive Office of the Governor to the Department of Management and Budget (DMB). The purpose of this transfer is to accomplish administrative efficiency. The GOJT remains a temporary agency as established under Article V, Section 4, of the Michigan constitution.
B. That budgeting, accounting, procurement and related management functions for the GOJT shall be performed by the Director of DMB.
C. That the Director of the GOJT, reporting directly to the Governor, shall:
1. Be responsible for coordinating policy and program development, service provider selection, and program oversight of:
- JTPA Title I, Sec. 123: State Education Coordination and Grants; and
- JTPA Title I, Sec. 124: Training Programs for Older Individuals; and
- JTPA Title II(b)(3) program year 1983 funds appropriated for Incentive Grants and Technical Assistance to the Service Delivery Areas; and
- JTPA Title III: Employment and Training Assistance for Dislocated Workers.
2. Provide staff support to the Michigan Job Training Coordinating Council (MJTCC) established and maintained under JTPA Title I, Sec. 122.
3. Review policies and programs from C. 1. above with the MDOL, the Cabinet Council on Jobs and Economic Development and the MJTCC to insure coordination.
4. Maintain contact with U.S. Department of Labor regarding programmatic issues related to C. 1. above.
D. That funds appropriated for JTPA administration under Title II, Section 202(b)(4), sufficient, as agreed to by MDOL AND GOJT, to provide the functions identified in Section C above are hereby transferred from the MDOL to DMB for use by the GOJT. Persons performing functions outlined in Section C above, as agreed to by MDOL AND GOJT, shall be placed on leave of absence from the MDOL to accepted limited term appointments with DMB.
E. That the Director of the MDOL shall:
1. Be responsible for coordinating policy and program development, service provider selection (as appropriate), and program oversight of:
- JTPA Title IIA and B: Training Services for the Disadvantaged operated through local Service Delivery Areas (SDAs); and
- JTPA Title II(b)(3) funds appropriated for Incentive Grants and Technical Assistance to the SDAs beginning July 1, 1984, and including the development of criteria for awarding these funds;
- A comprehensive management information and assessment system for all programs funded by JTPA. Planning for this system shall be accomplished jointly with the GOJT.
2. Be responsible for internal management and oversight of all funds appropriated to Michigan under JTPA including such functions as contract development, compliance monitoring, auditing, grievance review, federal reporting and maintenance of grant liaison with the U.S. Department of Labor.
In this capacity, the Michigan Department of Labor will maintain grant records, state plan documents, and financial resources in compliance with JTPA Title I, Parts A. and B., Section 121, C-E, and additional requirements specified by the U.S. Department of Labor.
3. Review policies and programs from E. 1. above with the GOJT, the Cabinet Council on Jobs and Economic Development and MJTCC to insure coordination.
F. That to insure adequate resources to perform its functions, the MDOL shall have available for its use the JTPA administrative funds appropriated under Title II, Sec. 202(b)(4) less the amount which is provided to support the GOJT under provision D. above.
G. That the GOJT, MDOL, DMB, and other offices and departments, as appropriate, shall enter into agreements as needed to implement the letter and spirit of this Executive Order.
H. In fulfillment of the requirements of Article V, Section 2, of the Michigan Constitution of 1963, the provisions of this Executive Order shall become effective sixty (60) days after submission to the Legislature.
History: 1984, E.R.O. No. 1984-1, Eff. May 21, 1984
Compiler's Notes: For transfer of Governor's Office of Job Training to the Department of Labor, see E.R.O. No. 1986-1, compiled at MCL 408.43 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
© 2015 Legislative Council, State of Michigan