Advanced Search

RULE §15.27 Signature by Parent or Guardian for a Driver License

Published: 2015

Subscribe to a Global-Regulation Premium Membership Today!

Key Benefits:

Subscribe Now for only USD$40 per month.
(a) Application. The application of a minor for a driver license must be signed by the person having custody of the minor. This should be the father or mother; if the minor is not in the custody of his father or mother, then his guardian should sign, and if not in the custody of any of the foregoing, his employer or the county judge of the county in which he resides may sign. (b) Separate notarization. The signing custodian authorizes operation of only those vehicles which may be legally operated with the license applied for. Therefore, when a minor applies for a license to drive a vehicle not authorized by his current license, a separate new notarized authorization from the custodian is required. (c) Exception. The parental authorization is not required for persons under age 18 who are or have been married or whose disabilities of minority have been removed generally, by law. Instead, they must:   (1) present a marriage certificate or a divorce decree (but not an annulment decree) or other satisfactory evidence of marriage or of having been married;   (2) present a court order showing removal of disabilities of minority; or   (3) obtain a notarized parental authorization as though he or she were not or had not been married. (d) Requirements pertaining to parental authorizations. Marriage or the removal of the disabilities of minority affect only requirements pertaining to parental authorizations. All other requirements of the law for licensing must be complied with, including minimum ages for licensing. (e) Request to withdraw or restore an authorization. A request to withdraw or restore an authorization must be submitted to the department in writing.

Source Note: The provisions of this §15.27 adopted to be effective January 1, 1976; amended to be effective December 13, 2009, 34 TexReg 8784