For purposes of this title, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings respectively ascribed to them by this section:
(1) SCHOLASTIC DAY. Shall not be less than six hours of actual teaching, exclusive of all recesses or intermission periods unless otherwise ordered by the county or city board of education. County and city boards of education and the Alabama Institute for Deaf and Blind shall be required to provide each teacher employed a minimum of 30 minutes of time free of instructional or supervisory responsibilities each teaching day. This provision shall not be interpreted to deprive any teacher of benefits exceeding the minimum requirements of this act.
(2) SCHOLASTIC WEEK. Shall consist of five school days each week.
(3) SCHOLASTIC MONTH. Shall constitute 20 school days.
(4) SCHOLASTIC YEAR. Shall begin with the first day of July and end with the thirtieth day of June each year.
(5) FISCAL YEAR. From October first to September thirtieth, inclusive.
(Code 1940, T. 52, §1; Acts 1984, No. 84-323, p. 743, §1.)