The following terms shall have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
(1) BOARD. The Public Education Flexible Employees Benefit Board.
(2) EMPLOYEE. Any person employed by a state or local board of education, postsecondary institution, or other employer with employees as defined by Sections 16-25A-1 and 16-25A-11 participating in a state health insurance program.
(3) EMPLOYER. Any local board of education within the State of Alabama or other public institution of education within the state that provides instruction at any combination of grades K-14 exclusively, under the auspices of the State Board of Education, or the Alabama Institute for Deaf and Blind, or entities whose employees are covered by the Public Education Employees' Health Insurance Plan pursuant to Section 16-25A-11.
(4) INTERNAL REVENUE CODE. The Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.
(5) PARTICIPATING EMPLOYEE. An employee who elects to participate in the flexible benefit plan and meets the requirements set forth in the plan.
(6) SALARY REDUCTION AGREEMENT. A written agreement between a participating employee and a state agency, department, board of education, institution, or other employer with employees as defined by Section 16-25A-1, whereby the employee agrees to reduce his or her salary by a stated amount, or an amount equal to the cost of benefits selected under a flexible employee benefit plan, and the state agency, department, board of education, or other employer with employees as defined by Section 16-25A-11 agrees to contribute such amounts to cover the cost of benefits selected by the participating employee, including related administrative expenses.
(Act 2004-650, 1st Sp. Sess., p. 31, §2.)