SECTION .4300 - MATERNAL - NEONATAL SERVICES
10A NCAC 13B .4301 ORGANIZATION MATERNAL SERVICES
(a) The governing body shall approve the scope of obstetric
services offered based upon the level of patient need, qualifications of the
credentialed staff, and resources of the facility.
(b) The following capabilities and minimum services shall
be made available when obstetric services are provided:
(1) identification of high-risk mothers and
(2) continuous electronic fetal monitoring;
(3) cesarean delivery capability within 30
minutes of decision;
(4) blood or fresh frozen plasma for
(5) anesthesia on a 24-hour or on-call basis;
(6) radiology and ultrasound examination;
(7) stabilization of unexpectedly small or sick
neonates before transfer;
(8) neonatal resuscitation;
(9) laboratory services on a 24-hour or on-call
(10) consultation and transfer agreements;
(11) assessment and care for the neonates; and
(12) nursery or other appropriate space for care
of the neonates.
(c) In a facility without intensive care nursery services,
the facility management shall establish and maintain a plan for the
stabilization and transportation of sick newborns to a regional neonatal unit.
History Note: Authority G.S. 131E-79;
Eff. January 1, 1996.