§33.2-252. Tramways and railways along or across public highways; appeals

Published: 2015

Subscribe to a Global-Regulation Premium Membership Today!

Key Benefits:

Subscribe Now for only USD$20 per month, or Get a Day Pass for only USD$4.99.
§ 33.2-252. Tramways and railways along or across public highways; appeals.

A. Whenever any person, firm, or chartered company engaged in mining, manufacturing, or lumber getting has acquired the right-of-way for a tramway or railway, except across or upon a public highway, and desires to cross such highway or some part thereof and if such person, firm, or chartered company cannot agree with the Commissioner of Highways, or governing body of a county if the road is a county road in a county where the roads are not within the secondary state highway system, as to the terms and conditions of such crossing, the circuit court of the county in which such highway may be may prescribe such regulations for the crossing of such highway as will protect the public, and when such regulations have been prescribed, such tramway or railway may be constructed and maintained or if already constructed may be maintained in accordance with such regulations as may be made on the application of the owner of such tramway or railway or on the motion of the attorney for the Commonwealth after notice to such owner.
B. The Commissioner of Highways or governing body or the applicant or owner of the tramway or railway may appeal from the order of the circuit court in the manner prescribed for appeals in controversies concerning roads.
C. Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as giving the right to condemn private property for such tramway or railway, nor shall the rights of any tramway or railway lawfully acquired be affected.
Code 1950, §§ 33-126, 33-127, 33-128; 1970, c. 322, §§ 33.1-211, 33.1-212, 33.1-213; 2014, c. 805.