The following words and terms when used in this chapter shall
have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates
(1) Visual Dental Health Inspection--An inspection
made by students engaged in a formal education program in dentistry
or dental hygiene or by health care workers, other than dentists,
dental hygienists, dental assistants, physicians and physician assistants.
(2) Limited Oral Evaluation--A non-comprehensive evaluation
of an individual who is not a patient of record made by a licensed
dentist for the following limited purposes:
(A) screening for symptoms of oral cancer; and/or
(B) evaluating minors or members of underserved populations
for current or potential dental problems.
(3) Dental instruments--Any device used by dentists
to examine, diagnose or treat patients, or any device used by dental
hygienists to treat patients, that may be used in an invasive manner
under normal circumstances.
(4) Diagnosis--The translation of data gathered by
clinical and radiographic examination into an organized, classified
definition of the conditions present.
(5) Health care worker--A person who furnishes health
care services in direct patient care situations under a license, certificate,
or registration issued by the state.
(6) Invasive manner--A procedure resulting in surgical
entry into tissues, cavities, or organs or the manipulation, cutting
or removal of any oral or perioral tissue, including tooth structure.