SECTION .0200 - DEFINITION OF TERMS
10A ncac 06R .0201 DEFINITIONS
As used in this Subchapter, unless the context requires
otherwise, the following definitions shall apply:
(1) "Activities of Daily Living (ADL)" means
eating; dressing; bathing; toileting; bowel and bladder control; transfers; and
(2) "Adaptable space" means space in a
facility that can be used for several purposes with little effort and without
sacrificing safety and health standards; for example, an activities room that
is used for crafts in the morning, used to serve lunch and used for exercise
activities in the afternoon.
(3) "Adaptable activity" means an activity
where participation can be varied from individual, small group, or large group,
and can occur seated, standing or lying down.
(4) "Adult" means an individual 18 years of
age or older.
(5) "Adult Day Care Center" means a day care
program operated in a structure other than a single family dwelling.
(6) "Adult Day Care Home" means a day care
program for up to 16 people operated in a single family dwelling where the
(7) "Adult Day Care Program" means the
provision of group care and supervision in a place other than their usual place
of abode on a less than 24-hour basis to adults who may be physically or
mentally disabled. This term is used to refer to adult day care programs,
adult day health programs, and adult day care and combined adult day health
programs (i.e., combination programs).
(8) "Alzheimer's Disease" means a
progressive, degenerative disease of the brain resulting in impaired memory,
thinking and behavior. Characteristic symptoms of the disease include gradual
memory loss, impaired judgement, disorientation, personality change, difficulty
in learning and loss of language skills.
(9) "Ambulatory" means a person who is mobile
and does not need the continuing help of a person or object for support (except
a walking cane).
(10) "Capacity" means the number of
participants for which a day care program is certified.
(11) "Caretaker" (or "Caregiver") means
an adult who regularly provides an impaired adult with continuous supervision,
assistance with preparation of meals, assistance with housework and assistance
with personal grooming.
(l2) "Certification" means the process whereby
an adult day care program is approved as meeting the North Carolina Adult Day
Care Rules in 10A NCAC 06.
(13) "Certifying agency" means the Department
of Health and Human Services, Division of Aging and Adult Services.
(14) "Dementia" means the loss of intellectual
functions (such as thinking, remembering, and reasoning) of sufficient severity
to interfere with a person's daily functioning. Dementia is not a disease
itself but rather a group of symptoms that may accompany certain diseases or
conditions. Symptoms may also include changes in personality, mood and
(15) "Group process" means at least three
persons engaged in a common activity.
(16) "Institution" means a facility that is
established to serve a particular purpose and is required by state law to be
provided and maintained by the state and any facility defined in federal
regulations as an institution. In North Carolina, the list of institutions includes:
general hospitals, state psychiatric hospitals, state centers for the mentally
ill, skilled nursing facilities, and intermediate care facilities.
(17) "Instrumental Activities of Daily Living (IADL)"
means meal preparation, medication intake, housekeeping, money management,
phone use, laundering, reading, shopping, communication such as speaking,
writing, signing, gestures, using communication devices and going to necessary
(18) "Medication schedule" means a listing of
all medications taken by participants with dosages, route of administration,
and times medications are to be taken.
(19) "Mental health disability" means disorders
with psychological or behavioral symptoms or impairment in functioning due to a
social, psychological, genetic, physical, chemical or biological disturbance.
(20) "Modifiable activity" means an activity
that can be simplified and adapted as a participant's abilities decline or
(21) "Non‑ambulatory" means a person who
(22) "Nucleus area" means adult day care
programs located in a multi-use building and refers to the area not shared by
any other programs located in the building but used only by the adult day care
(23) "Nursing care" means skilled nursing care
or intermediate care.
(24) "On-site" means the area certified for the
day care program.
(25) "Owner" means the person responsible for
management of a day care home or day health home.
(26) "Other special needs disease or condition"
means a diagnosis, disease or disability, such as AIDS/HIV, that benefits from
monitoring or oversight in a supervised setting.
(27) "Participant" means a person enrolled in
an adult day care program.
(28) "Personal care" means tasks that range
from assistance with basic personal hygiene and grooming, feeding, and
ambulation, to medical monitoring and other health care related tasks.
(29) "Physical therapy program" means a series
of activities prescribed by a licensed physical therapist or activities
administered under the supervision of a physical therapist.
(30) "Program director" means the person
responsible for program planning, development and implementation in a day care program.
(31) "Progress notes" means written reports in
the participant's file of staff discussions, conferences, or consultation with
family or other interested parties, for the purpose of evaluation of a
participant's progress and any other information regarding the participant's
(32) "Related disorders" means dementia or impaired
memory characterized by irreversible memory dysfunction.
(33) "Respite care," as a component of adult
day care programs, means a service provided to give temporary relief to the
family or caregiver. Primarily, respite is provided to families caring for children
or adults with disabilities or families caring for frail or disabled older
(34) "Responsible party" means the caretaker
with primary day-to-day responsibility for an impaired adult.
(35) "Semi-ambulatory" means a person who needs
and uses the assistance of objects such as a wheelchair, crutches, walker, or
other appliance or the support of another person on a regular and continuing
basis to move about.
(36) "Senior center" means a community or
neighborhood facility for the organization and provision of services including
health, social, nutritional and educational services and a facility for
recreational and group activities for older persons.
(37) "Special care services" means services by
a certified adult day care program that promotes itself as providing
programming, activities or care specifically designed for persons with
Alzheimer's or other dementias, or related disorders, mental health
disabilities, or other special needs diseases or conditions.
(38) "Supervising agency" means the county
department of social services in the county in which the day care program is
located. The county department is responsible for seeing that certification
standards are met on an on-going basis and for making a recommendation to the
Division of Aging and Adult Services regarding certification.
History Note: Authority G.S. 131D-6; 143B-153; S.L.
Eff. January 1, 1981;
Amended Eff. July 1, 1990; January 1, 1986; July 1, 1984;
Temporary Amendment Eff. September 28, 1999;
Amended Eff. July 1, 2007; July 17, 2000.