Statutory Rules of Northern Ireland
1998 No. 393
Identification and Movement of Sheep and Goats (Amendment) Order (Northern Ireland) 1998
11th November 1998
Coming into operation
12th November 1998
The Department of Agriculture, in exercise of the powers conferred on it by Articles 5(1)(b), 19(e) and (g), 44 and 60(1) of the Diseases of Animals (Northern Ireland) Order 1981(1) and of every other power enabling it in that behalf, hereby makes the following Order:
Citation and commencement
1. This Order may be cited as the Identification and Movement of Sheep and Goats (Amendment) Order (Northern Ireland) 1998 and shall come into operation on 12th November 1998.
2. In this Order “the principle Order” means the Identification and Movement of Sheep and Goats Order (Northern Ireland) 1997(2).
Amendment to the principal Order
3.—(1) The principal Order shall be amended in accordance with paragraphs (2) to (4).
(2) In Article 2 (Interpretation)—
(a)after the definition of “animal” there shall be inserted the following—
““Council Directive” means Council Directive 92/102/EEC(3);
“EC mark” shall be construed in accordance with Article 4(1)(b);”; and
(b)after the definition of “keeper” there shall be inserted the following—
““member State” means any member State of the European Communities other than the United Kingdom;”.
(3) For Article 4(1) there shall be substituted the following—
“(1) Subject to paragraph (2), a person shall not move or cause of permit to be moved any animal from a holding unless—
(a)that animal bears a mark which shall be designed so as to be legible for the life of the animal and is in the form of an ear tag or ear tattoo showing the letters “UK” and the flock mark or herd mark allocated under this Order or under the Sheep and Goats (Records, Identification and Movement) Order 1996(4); or
(b)in the case of an animal brought into Northern Ireland from another member State it bears a mark applied in accordance with the legislation which corresponds to this Order and which implements the Council Directive (“and EC mark”).”.
(4) In paragraphs (1) and (2) of Article 8, after the words “a mark in accordance with this Order” wheresoever they occur there shall be inserted the words “or the Sheep and Goats (Records, Identification and Movement) Order 1996 or, in the case of animals brought into Northern Ireland from a member State, “an EC mark”.”.
Sealed with the Official Seal of the Department of Agriculture on
R. S. Johnston
11th November 1998.
(This note is not part of the Order.)
This Order amends the Identification and Movement of Sheep and Goats Order (Northern Ireland) 1997 which implemented Council Directive 92/102/EEC in Northern Ireland, by making provision for the movement and sale of sheep and goats from Great Britain and other member States of the European Union which have been identified in accordance with their domestic legislation implementing Council Directive 92/102/EEC.
S.I. 1981/1115 (N.I. 22) as amended by S.I. 1984/702 (N.I. 2) Article 17 and S.I. 1994/1891 (N.I. 6) Article 23
S.R. 1997 No. 173
O.J. No. L355, 5.12.92, p. 32