Whereas under Article 41 of the Charter of the United Nations the Security Council of the United Nations has, by resolution adopted on 5th June 1998, called upon Her Majesty’s Government in the United Kingdom and all other States to apply certain measures to give effect to a decision of that Council in relation to Sierra Leone:
Now, therefore, Her Majesty, in exercise of the powers conferred on Her by section 1 of the United Nations Act 1946(1), is pleased, by and with the advice of Her Privy Council, to order, and it is hereby ordered, as follows:—
Citation and commencement
1.—(1) This Order may be cited as the United Nations Arms Embargoes (Amendment) (Sierra Leone) Order 1998 and shall come into force on 26th June 1998.
(2) In this Order “the Order” means the United Nations Arms Embargoes (Liberia, Somalia and the Former Yugoslavia) Order 1993(2).
(3) This Order, and the United Nations Arms Embargoes (Liberia, Somalia and the Former Yugoslavia) Order 1993, the United Nations Arms Embargoes (Amendment) (Rwanda) Order 1994(3), the United Nations Arms Embargoes (Former Yugoslavia) (Amendment) Order 1996(4) and the United Nations Arms Embargoes (Rwanda) (Amendment) Order 1997(5) may be cited together as the United Nations Arms Embargoes Orders 1993–1998.
Amendment of Article 2 of the Order
2.—(1) The definition of “prohibited destination” in Article 2 of the Order shall be replaced by the following—
““prohibited destination” means Liberia, Somalia, Rwanda or Sierra Leone;”.
(2) In the definition of “prohibited goods” in Article 2 of the Order:
(a)paragraph (i) shall be deleted and replaced by the following—
“goods of a description specified in Part III of Schedule 1 to the Export of Goods (Control) Order 1994(6);”
(b)in paragraph (ii) the words “in relation to Liberia, Somalia or Rwanda,” shall be inserted before the word “goods”.
Amendment of Article 8(8) of, and paragraph 4 of the Schedule to, the Order
3. In paragraph (8)(c) of Article 8 of the Order and in paragraph 4(c) of the Schedule to the Order the words “or Sierra Leone” shall be inserted after the word “Rwanda”.
Revocation of the Sierra Leone (United Nations Sanctions) Order 1997
4. The Sierra Leone (United Nations Sanctions) Order 1997(7) is revoked.
N. H. Nicholls
Clerk of the Privy Council
(This note is not part of the Order)
This Order, made under the United Nations Act 1946, amends the United Nations Arms Embargoes (Liberia, Somalia and the former Yugoslavia) Order 1993 by imposing restrictions on the delivery and supply of arms and related materiel to Sierra Leone, pursuant to a decision of the Security Council of the United Nations in Resolution No. 1171 of 5th June 1998, which terminated earlier restrictions related to Sierra Leone and re-imposed more limited restrictions. The Order also revokes the Sierra Leone (United Nations Sanctions) Order 1997. In addition, the opportunity has been taken to bring the definition of “prohibited goods” into line with recent legislation.
1946 c. 45.
S.I. 1993/1787, as amended by S.I. 1994/1637, S.I. 1996/1629 and S.I. 1997/273.
S.I. 1994/1191; relevant amending orders are S.I. 1996/2663, 1997/1008 and 1997/2758.