1998 No. 1953
EDUCATION, ENGLAND AND WALES
The Blackburn and Darwen Education Action Zone Order 1998
10th August 1998
Laid before Parliament
11th August 1998
Coming into force
1st September 1998
Whereas an application for the purpose of establishing an education action zone has been made to the Secretary of State with the consent of the governing bodies of every school which is comprised in this Order.
Now, therefore, in exercise of the powers conferred on the Secretary of State by sections 10(1) and 138(7) of, and paragraph 2 of Schedule 1 to, the School Standards and Framework Act 1998(1), the Secretary of State for Education and Employment hereby makes the following Order:
Citation and commencement
1. This Order may be cited as the Blackburn and Darwen Education Action Zone Order 1998 and shall come into force on 1st September 1998.
2. In this order–
“partners” means those persons listed in Schedule 1 to this Order; and
“zone school” means a school listed in Schedule 2 to this Order.
Constitution of education action zone
3. The schools listed in Schedule 2 to this Order shall constitute collectively an education action zone under the name of the Blackburn and Darwen Education Action Zone (“the zone”) for the purposes of Chapter III of Part I of the School Standards and Framework Act 1998.
4. There shall be an Education Action Forum for the zone, the membership of which shall include–
(a)one person appointed by the governing body of each zone school, unless any such governing body chooses not to make such an appointment;
(b)either one or two persons appointed by the Secretary of State; and
(c)one or more persons appointed by each partner, the maximum number of persons who may be appointed by each partner being specified in Schedule 1 to this Order in relation to each partner, unless any partner chooses not to make such appointments.
(d)three persons appointed by Blackburn and Darwen Borough Council (unless they choose not to make such an appointment) each of whom are members of that Council elected for one of the following wards–
Little Harwood with Whitebirk
and any person so appointed shall cease to hold office as a member of the Forum if he ceases to be a member of Blackburn and Darwen Borough Council elected for any of those wards.
(2) Where a partner is an individual he may appoint himself under paragraph (1)(c), but he shall cease to hold office as a member of the Forum if he ceases to hold the office by virtue of which he is a partner.
5. The Forum may at any time appoint not more than 26 additional members from persons appearing to them to represent the interests of–
(b)parents of children aged 16 years or under resident in the area served by the zone schools;
(c)a voluntary sector agency active in the zone; and
(d)persons involved in the provision of education in the area served by the zone schools;
provided that the maximum number of additional members who may be appointed under sub-paragraph (1)(d) shall be five.
Disqualification from membership of the Forum
6. Articles 7 and 9 shall have effect for the purpose of prescribing the circumstances and cases in which a person is to be disqualified for holding, or continuing to hold, office as a member of the Forum.
Disqualification from membership of Forum—bankruptcy etc
7.—(1) Subject to the provisions of this regulation, a person shall be disqualified for holding, or for continuing to hold, office as a member of the Forum if he has been adjudged bankrupt or has made a composition or arrangement with his creditors; and a member, on becoming so disqualified, shall give written notice of the fact to the secretary to the Forum.
(2) Where a person is disqualified by reason of his having been adjudged bankrupt, that disqualification shall cease–
(a)unless the bankruptcy order made against that person is previously annulled, on his discharge from bankruptcy; and
(b)if the bankruptcy order is so annulled, on the date of the annulment.
(3) Where a person is disqualified by reason of his having made a composition or arrangement with his creditors and he pays his debts in full, the disqualification shall cease on the date on which the payment is completed and in any other case it shall cease on the expiration of three years from the date on which the terms of the deed of composition or arrangement are fulfilled.
Disqualification from membership of Forum—criminal convictions
8.—(1) Subject to paragraph (4) a person shall be disqualified for holding, or for continuing to hold, office as a member of the Forum if–
(a)within five years before his appointment would otherwise have taken effect or since his appointment, he has been convicted, whether in the United Kingdom or elsewhere, of any offence and has had passed on him a sentence of imprisonment (whether suspended or not) for a period of not less than three months without the option of a fine;
(b)within twenty years before his appointment would otherwise have taken effect, he has been convicted as aforesaid and has had passed on him a sentence of imprisonment for a period of more than two and a half years; or
(c)he has at any time been convicted as aforesaid and has had passed on him a sentence of imprisonment of not less than five years.
(2) For the purposes of this regulation there shall be disregarded any conviction by or before a court outside the United Kingdom of an offence in respect of conduct which, if it had taken place in any part of the United Kingdom, would not have constituted an offence under the law in force in that part of the United Kingdom.
Disqualification—absence from meetings
9. Any member of the Forum who, without the consent of the Forum has failed to attend the meetings thereof for a continuous period of six months beginning with the date of a meeting shall, on the expiry of that period, be disqualified for continuing to be a member of the Forum without prejudice however, to his re-appointment.
Chairman’s tenure of office
10. The chairman of the Forum elected in accordance with paragraph 2 of Schedule 1 to the Act, shall hold office for one year from the date of his election (unless he resigns his office earlier), without prejudice to his eligibility to be re-elected for a further such period.
SCHEDULE 1MEANING OF “PARTNERS”
The following persons are “partners” for the purposes of appointing additional members of the Forum:
Maximum number of Person who can be appointed by each partner
The Leader of Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council, Town Hall, Blackburn, BB1 7DY
The Chairman of the Education and Training Committee of Blackburn Borough Council
Blackburn Partnership, 11 Richmond Terrace, Blackburn, BB1 7BD
Education Action Zone Community Associations c/o EAZ Manager, Dept. of Education and Training, Blackburn, BB1 7DY
Blackburn Diocesan Board of Education, Cathedral Close, Blackburn BB1 5AA
Salford Diocesan Schools Commission, 5 Gerald Road, Salford, M6 6DL
Lancashire Council of Mosques, Bangor Street Community Centre, Norwich Street, Blackburn, BB1 6NZ
St Mary’s College, Shear Brow, Blackburn, BB1 8DX
Blackburn College, Fielden Street, Blackburn, BB2 1LH
East Lancashire Training and Enterprise Council, Red Rose Court, Clayton Business Park, Clayton Le Moors, Accrington, Lancashire, BB5 5JR
Blackburn Rovers Football and Athletic plc, Ewood Park, Blackburn, BB2 4JF
Lancashire Constabulary, Eastern Divisional Police Headquarters, Blackburn Police Station, Northgate, Blackburn, BB2 1AE
Groundwork Blackburn, Groundwork Environment Centre, Bob Watts Building, Nova Scotia Wharf, Bolton Road, Blackburn, BB2 3GE
Communicare National Health Service Trust, 33 Eagle Estate, Accrington, Lancashire, BB5 1LN
East Lancashire Health Authority, 31–33 Kenyon Road, Lomeshaye Estate, Nelson, Lancashire, BB9 5SZ
Duke of Edinburgh Awards Scheme, Blackburn with Darwen Awards Council, Youth Service, Education Centre, 103 Preston North Road, Blackburn, BB2 6BJ
The Chief Education Officer of Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council
The person holding the office of Executive Director (Community and Personnel) at Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council.
SCHEDULE 2SCHOOLS COMPRISING THE ZONE
Audley Infant School
Audley Junior School
Audley Nursery School
Crosshill Special School
Chapels Nursery School
Darwen Moorland High School
Holy Trinity VC School
Intack Primary School
Longshaw Infant School
Longshaw Junior School
Longshaw Nursery School
Our Lady and St John (Aided) School
Our Lady Perpetual Succour Primary School
Queen’s Park High School
Roman Road County Primary School
St Antony’s RC School
St James' CofE School
St James' CofE Primary School
St Mary’s and St Joseph’s RC Primary School
Shadsworth Infant School
Shadsworth Junior School
Sudell County Primary School
Minister of State,
Department for Education and Employment
10th August 1998
(This note is not part of the Order)
This Order establishes the Blackburn and Darwen Education Action Zone, which comprises the schools listed in the Schedule. The Order also provides (in articles 4 and 5) for the membership of the Education Action Forum for the Zone.
1998 c. 31.