1996 No. 618
LOCAL GOVERNMENT, ENGLAND AND WALES
The Local Government Reorganisation (Wales) (Committees for Sea Fisheries Districts) (Amendment) Order 1996
8th March 1996
Laid before Parliament
11th March 1996
Coming into force
1st April 1996
The Secretary of State for Wales, in exercise of the powers conferred upon him by section 54(1) and (2)(e) and (g) of the Local Government (Wales) Act 1994(1), hereby makes the following Order—
Citation, commencement and interpretation
1.—(1) This Order may be cited as the Local Government Reorganisation (Wales) (Committees for Sea Fisheries Districts) (Amendment) Order 1996 and shall come into force on 1st April 1996.
(2) In this Order—
“the first principal Order” means the order made by the Board of Agriculture and Fisheries on 27th June 1912(2) (which created the South Wales Sea Fisheries District and constituted a local fisheries committee for the regulation of the sea fisheries within that District);
“the second principal Order” means the North Western and North Wales Sea Fisheries District Order 1986(3).
Amendments to the first principal Order
2. The first principal Order is amended in accordance with articles 3 to 5 below.
3. For article 7 (constitution of committee) there shall be substituted the following—
“7. The Committee shall be a joint committee of the county and county borough councils referred to in column 1 of the Schedule to this Order and shall consist of twenty two members. The number of members appointed by each constituent council shall be the number which is set out in column 2 of the Schedule opposite the reference to such council. Nine additional members shall be appointed by the Secretary of State and one additional member by the Environment Agency.”.
4. For article 17 (expenses) there shall be substituted the following:
17. The expenses of the Committee, other than those which may be required to be incurred under section 17(2) of the Act, shall be chargeable jointly to the constituent councils referred to in column 1 of the Schedule in equal proportions and shall be expenses for general county or county borough purposes.”.
5. For the Schedule there shall be substituted the following: —
Articles 7 and 17
Number of Representatives
Cardiff County Council
Carmarthenshire County Council
Pembrokeshire County Council
Swansea County Council
Bridgend County Borough Council
Neath and Port Talbot County Borough Council
Rhondda, Cynon, Taff County Borough Council
The Vale of Glamorgan County Borough Council
Amendments to the second principal Order
6. The second principal Order is amended in accordance with articles 7 to 9 below.
7. In article 3(2) (local fisheries committee), for the words “thirty-six” there shall be substituted the words “thirty-eight”.
8. For article 4 (expenses) there shall be substituted the following:—
4. The expenses of the Committee, other than those which may be required to be incurred under section 17(2) of the Act, shall be chargeable to the constituent councils in the respective proportions set out in column 3 of Schedule 1 to this Order opposite the reference to each constituent council and shall be expenses for general county, county borough or district purposes.”.
9. For Schedule 1 there shall be substituted the following: —
Articles 3 and 4
“SCHEDULE 1CONSTITUTION AND EXPENSES
Number of Representatives
Percentages of expenses
Cheshire County Council
Cumbria County Council
Lancashire County Council
Sefton Metropolitan Borough Council
Aberconwy and Colwyn County Borough Council
Anglesey County Council
Caernarfonshire and Merionethshire County Council
Cardiganshire County Council
Denbighshire County Council
Flintshire County Council
Signed by authority of the Secretary of State for Wales
Parliamentary Under Secretary of State, Welsh Office
8th March 1996
(This note is not part of the Order)
This Order makes consequential amendments to the constitutions of the Committees (“the Committees”) for the South Wales Sea Fisheries District and the North Western and North Wales Sea Fisheries District arising as a result of Welsh local government reorganisation. The Order specifies which new Welsh principal councils are to be constituent councils of the Committees. Consequential adjustments are also made to the membership of the Committees and to the liability of Welsh principal councils to contribute to the expenses of the Committees.
1994 c. 19.
S.R. and O. 1926/1121 as varied by S.I. 1973/2203 and S.I. 1980/823.
S.I. 1986/1201 as varied by S.I. 1989/474 and S.I. 1990/1157.