Centre For Islamic Guidance (Incorporation)
Centre For Islamic Guidance (Incorporation)
AN ACT TO INCORPORATE THE CENTRE FOR ISLAMIC GUIDANCE
WHEREAS a Centre called and known as the "Centre for Islamic Guidance" has heretofore been formed in Kattankudy for the purpose of effectively carrying out its objects and transacting all matters connected with the said Centre according to the rules agreed to by its members :
AND WHEREAS the said Centre has heretofore successfully carried out and transacted the several objects and matters for which it was formed and has applied to be incorporated and it is now desirable and expedient that such application be granted :
BE it therefore enacted by the Parliament of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka as follows:"
, 1998 ]
1. This Act may be cited as the Centre for Islamic Guidance (Incorporation) Act, No. 30 of 1998.
Incorporation of the Centre for Islamic Guidance.
2. From and after the date of commencement of this Act, Incorporation of the such and so many persons as now are members of the Centre for Islamic Guidance (hereinafter referred to as the "Centre") and such other persons as shall hereafter be admitted as members of the Corporation hereby constituted shall be a body corporate (hereinafter referred to as the "Corporation") with perpetual succession under the name and style of the "Centre for Islamic Guidance" and by that name may sue, and be sued, in all courts, with full power and authority to have and use a common seal and to change and alter the same at its pleasure.
General Objects of the Corporation.
3. The general objects for which the Corporation is constituted are hereby declared to be :"
(a) to prepare and guide Muslims to lead and conduct their spiritual and material lives, according to correct Islamic precepts ;
(b) to propagate the teachings of the Holy Quran and the traditions of the Holy prophet Mohammed (PBUH);
(c) to promote mutual understanding and friendship among different religious communities, by the holding of seminars, symposia, and dialogues ;
(d) to provide assistance to Muslim students for their educational upliftment;
(e) to encourage the learning of the Arabic language ;
(f) to establish liabraries at village level, to cultivate the reading habit amongst Muslims ;
(g) to set up a Bureau to collect and preserve data relevant to the Muslims of Sri Lanka and other countries ;
(h) to encourage Muslim women to play a greater role in religious affairs and observances ; and
(i) to do all such other acts and things not inconsistent with this Act or any other written Law, as are incidental, or conducive, to the attainment of the above objects or any one of them.
General Powers of the Corporation.
(1) The Corporation shall, subject to the provisions of this Act and other written law, have power to do all such things as are, necessary for, or conducive or incidental to the carrying out the objects of the Corporation.
(2) Without prejudice to the generality of the powers conferred by subsection (1), the Corporation shall have the following powers :"-
(a) to receive or collect gifts, grants, donations, subsidies and subscriptions, whether in cash or otherwise, from local or foreign sources ;
(b) to open, operate and close bank accounts, and to borrow or raise money, with or without security ;
(c) to invest the funds vested in, or belonging to, the Corporation in adequate securities or in the purchase or acquisition of such movable or immovable property as may be proper or necessary for the purposes of the Corporation ;
(d) to erect or cause to be erected, any building or structure on any land belonging to or held by the Corporation.
Management of the affairs of the Corporation.
(1) The affairs of the Corporation shall, subject to the rules in force for the time being of the Corporation, administered by a Committee of Management consisting of the President, General Secretary, the Administrative Secretary, the Treasurer and three other members to be elected in accordance with such rules.
(2) The first Committee of Management of the Corporation shall consist of the members of the Committee of Management of the Centre holding office on the day preceding the date of commencement of this Act and whose names are set out in the Schedule to this Act.
Rules of the Corporation.
(1) It shall be lawful for the Corporation from time to time, at any general meeting of the members and by the votes of not less than two thirds of the members present and voting, to make rules not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act or any other written law, for the admission, withdrawal or expulsion of members, for the conduct of the duties of the Committee of Management and of the various officers, agents and servants of the Corporation, for the procedure to be followed in the transaction of business, at meetings of the Committee of management and otherwise generally for the management of the affairs of the Corporation and the attainment of its objects. Such rules when made may, at a like meeting and in like manner be altered, added to, amended or rescinded.
(2) The rules of the Centre in force on the day preceding the date of commencement of this Act, shall be deemed to be the rules of the Corporation made under this section, in so far as they are not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act or any other written law.
(3) The members of the Corporation shall he subject to die rules of the Corporation.
Debts due by and payable to the Centre.
7. All debts and liabilities of the Centre existing on the day preceding the date of commencement of this Act, shall be paid by the Corporation hereby constituted and all debts due to, and subscriptions and contributions payable to, the Centre on that day shall be paid to the Corporation for the purposes of this Act.
How the seal of the Corporation is to be affixed.
8. The seal of the Corporation shall not be affixed to any instrument whatsoever except in the presence of the President, the General Secretary or the Administrative Secretary who shall sign their names to the instrument in token of their presence, and such signing shall be independent of the signing of any person as a witness.
Corporation may hold and dispose of property movable and immovable.
9. The Corporation shall, subject to the rules in force for the time being of the Corporation, be able and capable in law to acquire and hold any property, movable or immovable, which may become vested in it by virtue of any purchase, grant, gift, testamentary disposition or otherwise and all such property shall be held by the Corporation for the purposes of this Act and subject to the rules in force for the time being of the Corporation, with full power to mortgage, sell, lease, exchange or otherwise dispose of the same.
Saving of the rights of the Republic and Others.
10. Nothing in this Act contained shall prejudice or affect the rights of the Republic or of any body politic or corporate or of any other persons, except such as are mentioned in this Act, and those claiming by, from or under them.
Sinhala text to prevail in case of inconsistency.
11. In the event of any inconsistency between the Sinhala and Tamil texts of this Act, the Sinhala text shall prevail.