Increase Of Fines
Increase Of Fines
AN ACT TO PROVIDE FOR THE INCREASE OF FINES IMPOSED FOR OFFENCES COMMITTED UNDER CERTAIN LAWS AND FOR MATTERS CONNECTED THEREWITH OR INCIDENTAL THERETO.
BE it enacted by the Parliament of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka as follows :-
, 2005 ]
1. This Act may be cited as the Increase of Fines Act, No. 12 of 2005.
Amendment of certain laws set out in the First and Second Schedule.
(1) For the purpose of increasing fines imposed under certain laws-
(a) the laws set out in Column I of the First Schedule to this Act, are hereby amended in the manner set out in the corresponding entry in Column II of that Schedule ; and
(b) the laws set out in Column I of the Second Schedule to this Act, are hereby amended by the substitution for the words set out in Column II of that Schedule wherever those words may appear in any such law, of the words set out in the corresponding entry in Column III.
(2) The amendments made to section 153, 156 and 166 set out in the Second Schedule to the Motor Traffic Act (Chapter 203) as last amended by Act, No. 40 of 1984, by paragraph (a) of subsection (1) of this section and referred to in the First Schedule to this Act, shall come into force on January 01, 2006.
Magistrate's Court to have jurisdiction notwithstanding section 11 and 14 of the Code of Criminal Procedure Act, No. 15 of 1979.
3. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in sections 11 and 14 of the Code of Criminal Procedure Act, No. 15 of 1979, the Magistrate's Court shall have jurisdiction to try offences committed under any of the sections set out in the First Schedule and any of the sections which contains the words set out in the Second Schedule to this Act, and to impose the fine as provided for therein for such offences.
Act not to apply in respect of offences already committed.
4. For the avoidance of doubt, it is hereby declared that the provisions of section 2 of this Act shall not apply in respect of an offence committed under any section referred to on the First Schedule or under any law referred to in the Second Schedule to this Act, where such offence was committed prior to the coming into operation of this Act.
Sinhala text to prevail in the case of inconsistency.
5. In the event of any inconsistency between the Sinhala and Tamil texts of this Act, the Sinhala text shall prevail.