Spatial Data Infrastructure Act [No. 54 of 2003]
REPUBLIC OF SOUTH AFRICA
Vol. 464 Cape Town 4 February 2004 No. 25973
THE PRESIDENCY No. 113 4 February 2004
It is hereby notified that the President has assented to the following Act, which is hereby published for general information:–
No. 54 of 2003: Spatial Data Infrastructure Act, 2003.
.\ct No. 51. 2003 SP.4TIAL DATA INFRASTRUCTURE .4CT. 7003
(English text signed by the President.) (Assented to 28 Januag 2004.)
ACT To establish the South African Spatial Data Infrastructure, the Committee for Spatial Information and an electronic metadata catalogue; to provide for the determination of standards and prescriptions with regard to the facilitation f the sharing of spatial information; to provide for the capture and publishing of metadata and the avoidance of duplication of such capture; and to provide for matters connected therewith.
B E IT ENACTED by the Parliament of the Republic of South Africa. a s follows;- ARRANGEMENT OF ACT
I . 3. 3. 1. 5 . 6 . 7. 8. 9. I O . I I . 12. 13. 11. 15. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20. 31. 22.
Definitions Application of Act 5 Establishment and objectives of South African Spatial Data Infrastructure Powers of Minister Establishment of Committee for Spatial Information Powers and functions of Committee Terms of office of members I O Disqualification as member of Committee Meetings of Committee Establishment of subcommittees Spatial information standards and prescriptions Capture and publishing of metadata Manner and refusal of access to spatial information Supply of and accountability for spatial information Agreements on utilisation of spatial information Collaborative maintenance Reporting on data quality Security of spatial information Delegation of powers Regulations Liability Short title and commencement
Act No. 51.2003 SPATIAL DATA INFRASTRUCTURE ACT. xo;
1. In this Act, unless the context indicates otherwise- “base data set” means those themes of spatial information \vhich h a w been captured or collected by a data custodian; “Committee” means the Committee for Spatial Information established b! i section 5 : “data custodian” means- ( a ) an organ of state: or (b) an independent contractor or person engaged in the exercise of a public power
which captures, maintains, manages, integrates, distributes or uses spatial information; “data set” means an identifiable collection of related spatial information: “data vendor” means a person who supplies spatial information on behalf of a data custodian; 15 “Department” means the national department responsible for Land Affairs: “Director-General” means the Director-General of the Department: “features” means geographic phenomena having common characteristics: “field“ means an area of a database record into which a particular item of data is entered: 20 “maintenance” when used in relation to spatial information, means- (a i measures taken to ensure that spatial information conforms to the standards
(b) the updating or modification of spatial information to ensure that i t remains
“member” means a member of the Committee; “nletadata” means a description of the content. quality. condition and other characteristics of spatial information: “Minister” means the national Minister responsible for Land Affairs: “organ of state” means an organ of state as defined in section 2.39 of the 30 Constitution: “prescribe” means prescribe by regulation: “quality” means the degree to which spatial information which has been captured or collected satisfies stated or implied needs, and includes geographic information about lineage, completeness, currency. logical consistency and accuracy of the 35 spatial information; “record” means a record as defined in section 1 of the Promotion of Access to Information Act, 2000 (Act No. 2 of 2000): “SASDI” means the South African Spatial Data Infrastructure established b!. section 3: 4 0 ‘‘spatial information” means information about spatial objects or features and their attributes; “this Act” includes any regulation made or notice published in terms of this Act: “user” means any person who has obtained access to spatial information in order to use such information. 45
or performance of a public function, I 0
and prescriptions determined in terms of this Act: or
usable and reliable; 25
Application of Act
2. This Act applies to organs of state which hold spatial information and to users of spatial information.
Establishment and objectives of South African Spatial Data Infrastructure
3. (1) The South African Spatial Data Infrastructure is hereby established as the SO national technical, institutional and policy framework to facilitate the capture. management, maintenance, integration, distribution and use of spatial information.
(2) The objectives of the SASDI are t o - ( a ) facilitate the capture of spatial information through co-operation among
(b) promote effective management and maintenance of spatial information: (c) promote the use and sharing of spatial information in support of spatial
(d) create an environment which facilitates co-ordination and co-operation
organs of state; 55
planning, socio-economic development and related activities;
among all stakeholders regarding access to spatial information: 60
..\ct No. 54. 2003 SPATIAL DATA INFRASTRUCTLIRE ACT. 200.;
(c,) eliminate duplication in the capturing of spatial information: (,f) promote universal access to such information: and (g) facilitate the protection of the copyright of the state in work\ relating t c ~ \ p a t i a I
information. ( 3 ) The Director-General administers this Act and the South African Spatial Ihtcl 5
Powers of Minister
4. ( 1 ) The Minister mav- prescribe standards and measures on the sharing and integration o f ' spatial information; I O determine the fees. costs, price or charges payable for spatial information and other records; grant exemption from the payment of any fees required to be paid i n 1enn\ of this Act; establish and maintain an electronic metadata catalogue as a component o f the I5 SASDI; and in concurrence with the Minister of Finance. determine and pay renluncration and allowances to members of the Committee or subcomnittze \vho are nor i n the full-time employ of the State. .~
( 2 ) The Minister may. in accordance with section 33 1 of the Constitution. entcr into ' ( 1 an agreement with any person or body, within and outside the Republic. w i t h ;I \.it\\. to promoting any matter relating to the management and utilisation of spatial informutio~~.
( 3 ) The Minister may suspend or revoke a decision or measure of the Conmlttet'. (1) The Minister must. after suspending the decision or measure of the Conlmittt'c ; I n d
bcfore its revocation, remit such decision or measure for the Conltnittee's rt.con\itlerLi- 35 tion.
Establishment of Committee for Spatial Information
5. ( I ) The Committee for Spatial Information is hereby established. ( 2 ) The Committee consists of the following members appointed b!. the Mini\ter:
1 One person to represent the Minis r: .; ( I two persons in the full-time employ of the Department: one person in the full-time employment of each of- ( i ) Statistics South Africa, as defined in section 1 o f the Statistics Act. 1 W~
( i i ) the national department of Provincial and Local GoveInment: a n d .? -r (iii) such other national departments of state identified by the Minister: one person from each provincial government. in the full-ti~l~e emplo! of auch government; two persons in the full-time employ of local municipalities. one of whom shall be from a municipality which is mainly rural in character and the other f r c m 10 a municipality which is mainly urban in character: one person to represent the Council of Government Information Technolog! Officers; one person to represent a professional association of persons i n \ d \ w l i n Geographic Information Science; 15 one person involved in the teaching or research of Geographic Information Science: at least one person to represent the interests of public entities contemplated i n Schedules 2 and 3 to the Public Finance Management Act, 1999 (Act No. I of 1999). that perform functions which support the objects of this Act: and 50 one person from each data custodian as identified by the Minister.
(Act No. 6 of 1999): 7 -
(3) The Minister must, after calling for nominations from the public in the prescribed
( a ) in respect of paragraphs (6) and (c ) of subsection (3). after consultation u i t h manner. and-
the Ministers responsible for thos departm nts; 55
8 No. 15913 GOVERYMENT G,\ZETTE. 4 l ~ f ~ I 3 R l . 4 R ~ ~ 20()-4
Act No. 54.2003 SPATIAL DATA INFRASTRUCTURE ACT. 2003
( 0 ) in respect of paragraph (d) of subsection (2). after consultation w i t h he Premiers of the respective provinces; and
(cj in respect of paragraph ( e ) of subsection ( 2 ) . after consultation M ' i t h the Chairperson of the South African Local Government Association,
appoint the members of the Committee and an alternate member for each such member. (4) The Minister must appoint from among the members of the Committee u
chairperson and a deputy chairperson. ( 5 ) When the chairperson is unable to perform the functions of that ofice. the deputy
chairperson must perform those functions. (6) The Minister must, within 30 days from the date of appointment of the members
of the Committee, publish the names of the appointees. the position held by each appointee to the Committee and the date of each appointment, by notice in the GrrerrcJ.
(7 ) If a member dies or vacates his or her office before the expiry of his or her term of office, the Minister may, subject to subsection ( 2 ) . appoint any person to fil l the \ ~ ~ a n c ! ' for the unexpired portion of the period for which such member was appointed.
Powers and functions of Committee
6. (1) The Committee must advise the Minister. the Director-General or an organ o f
(a) matters referred to the Committee by the Minister, the Director-General or a11
(b ) any matter regarding the capture, management. maintenance. integration.
I C ) any matter the Committee considers necessary or expedient for achie\,ing the
state dealing with spatial information on-
organ of state;
distribution and use of spatial information: and
objectives of the SASDI. (2) The Committee-
( a ) must facilitate, promote and safeguard an environment for the efficient collection, management. distribution and utilisation of spatial information:
ih) must monitor and acquire information relating to the functioning of the SASDI:
( c ) must support the functioning of any structure or measure established under this Act;
i d ) may print, circulate. sell, finance and administer the publication o f an!' material relating to spatial information;
( e ) must promote awareness of its activities. including dissemination n f information on the importance of spatial infornlation for effecti\,e governance. planning and decision making;
(f! must, within three months after the end of each financial year. submit ;I report to the Minister, stating the activities of the Committee and its subcommittee5 and any recommendations from the Committee aimed at improving its functioning or the functioning of the SASDI: and
( g ) may do anything necessary for the proper performance of its functions or to achieve the objectives of the SASDI.
Terms of office of members
7. A member- (a ) must be appointed for a period of three years: and (b j may not serve more than two consecutive terms unless the Minister is of the
opinion that appointment for a further term will be beneficial t o the Committee.
Disqualification as member of Committee
8. (1) The Minister may not appoint as a member of the Committee a person w h o - ( a ) is an unrehabilitated insolvent; (b) is mentally ill; (c) has been convicted, whether in the Republic or elsewhere. of an offence
involving dishonesty or an offence for which he or she was sentenced t o
.Act No. 54.2003 SPATIAL DATA INFRASTRUCTURE ACT. 200.:
imprisonment without the option of a fine, unless the person has recel\.ed ; I grant of amnesty or a free pardon before the date of his or her appointmcnr: has been removed from an office of trust on account of improper contluct: has had his or her name removed from any professional regisrer on account 01' misconduct and has not been reinstated; > is a political representative at the national, provincial or municipal sphere o f government; has been determined by a court, tribunal or forum as contemplated b> t h c Promotion of Equality and Prevention of Unfair Discrimination Act. X00 (Act No. 4 of 2000), to have contravened section 7 or any other pro\,ision o f I O that Act; or is not a fit and proper person to be so appointed.
( 7 ) A member of the Committee must vacate his or her office. if he or she- ( 0 ) becomes disqualified in terms of subsection (1) from being appointed A\ a
member of the Committee; ( h ) has. without the leave of the Committee. been absent from t \ m consecuti\c
meetings of the Committee or a subcommittee of which he or she is 21 member: ( e ) resigns by written notice addressed to the Minister; I d ) has been recalled by, or ceases to be associated with. the bod!. that he or she
represented at the time of his or her appointment to the Commitree or. i n thc case of an official in the service of the State, ceases to be such a n official:
/ c ) is incapable of performing his or her duties due to ill health: or ( f ) has engaged in any activity that has brought or may bring the Committee into
IIeetings of Committee
9. ( 1 ) The first meeting of the Committee must be held at the time and place determined by the Minister and subsequent meetings must be held at such times ;mtl places as may be determined by the Committee.
( 2 ) The Committee must hold at least four meetings each year but may hold \uch further meetings as it determines from time to time.
( 3 ) The chairperson may at any time on reasonable grounds and on notice o f the purpose of the meeting convene a special meeting of the Committee to be held on ;I datc and place that he or she determines. (1) The chairperson must convene a special meeting. and state the p t ~ r p o w o f the
meeting. within 14 days of the receipt of a request for such meeting b!.- ( a ) the Minister; ( h ) the Director-General; or ( c ) at least one third of the Committee members.
( 5 ) A majority of all the members of the Committee constitutes a quorum at an!' meeting of the Committee.
(6) A decision of the majority of the members of the Committee present a r an! meeting constitutes a decibion of the Committee.
(7) In the event of an equality of votes, the chairperson has a casting vote in addition to his or her deliberative vote.
(8) A decision taken by the Committee or an act performed under the authority o f thc Committee is not invalid by reason only of a vacancy on the Committee or that ;I person \vho is not entitled to sit on the Committee, sat as a member at the time \\,hen the decision was taken or the act was authorised, if the decision \+.as taken or thc act authorised by the requisite majority of the members of the Committee Lvho were present at the time and entitled to sit as members.
Establishment of subcommittees
10. The Committee may- ( N J establish subcommittees for the effective performance of its functions: ((7) delegate any of its powers and functions to a subcommittee on such terms as
( c i direct the subcommittee to perform such tasks as it considers appropriate: it considers appropriate;
12 No . 25973 GOVERNMENT GAZETTE. J FEBRUARY 2004
Act No. 54,2003 SPATIAL DATA INFRASTRUCTURE ACT. 2003
(d) at any time revoke the delegation to a subcommittee: ( e ) despite any delegation, itself exercise a delegated power or function: (f! co-opt experts or persons with special skills who are not members of the
(g) designate one of the members of a subcommittee as chairperson of the Committee as non-voting members of a subcommittee; and
Spatial information standards and prescriptions
11. (1) The Minister may determine standards and prescriptions to facilitate the sharing and integration of spatial information.
(2) No standard or prescription determined by the Minister shall take effect unless it has been published in the Gazetre at least one month before the effective date specified in the notice.
(3) A data custodian and a data vendor must adhere to the standards and prescriptions referred to in this section.
Capture and publishing of metadata
12. ( 1 ) A data custodian must capture and maintain metadata for any spatial
(2) A data custodian must ensure that metadata is available to users by- information held by it in accordance with this Act.
( a ) making its metadata available to the Department. in the prescribed manner. for inclusion in the electronic metadata catalogue: and
(6) including it in a manual on functions as described in section 14 of the Promotion of Access to Information Act. 2000 (Act No. 2 of 2000).
( 3 ) The Minister may. by notice in the Gazerre, exempt any data custodian. or exempt any type of exercise either in a particular instance or in general. from any provision relating to the capture or maintenance of spatial information contained i n regulations made in terms of this Act.
;\lanner and refusal of access to spatial information
13. The provisions of the Promotion of Access to Information Act, 2000 (Act No . 1 of 2000). relating to the manner and refusal of access to records apply to any matter regulated in terms of this Act.
Supply of and accountability for spatial information
14. ( 1 ) A data custodian may, in the prescribed manner, appoint a data vendor to
( 2 ) A data custodian is accountable for the integrity of unmodified spatial information
( 3 ) A data custodian or a data vendor supplying spatial information must provide-
supply products derived from the data custodian’s dataset.
tvhich is supplied by the data vendor in terms of this Act.
(a ) the information in a prescribed manner: and (h ) the relevant metadata together with the spatial information.
Agreements on utilisation of spatial information
15. ( 1 ) A data custodian or a data vendor and a user may enter into a licensing
( 2 ) A licensing agreement must provide for- agreement with regard to the use of spatial information.
( a ) the duration of the agreement; (b) the legal protection of the copyright of the State and any other interested party:
I C ) any other provision that the parties may consider necessary and as may be and
16. (1) Data custodians may exchange spatial information in terms of a collaborative maintenance agreement providing for the regular updating of base data sets within an agreed period.
AcI No. 54. 2003 SPATlAL DATA 1NFRXSTRUCTURE ACT. 2003
( 2 ) A collaborative maintenance agreement must provide- ( a ) for the duration of the agreement; ( h i ;I stipulation of the frequency with which updated versions of the t x w d a t a \ct
in question must be provided; ( c ) the format and medium to be used in providing the updated \ p a r l a 1 5
information; ( d j for the legal protection of the copyright of the State and other interested
parties: and ( P ) any other provision that the parties may consider necessary and ;I\ ma! be
prescribed. I O ( 3 ) A data custodian of a base data set must, in the absence of an agreement
contemplated in this section, furnish all updates of spatial information of the base d;lt;l set to the data custodian,of a derivative data set. within a prescribed period. i n order to ensure synchronised updates of the two data sets. (4) A data custodian of a derivative data set must update the data set \ \ . i t h i n ;I I5
prescribed period after receiving an update of the base data set. ( 5 ) The data custodian of a base data set must render all reasonable assistance t o the
data custodian of a derivative data set to perform the updating contemplated i n subsection (4).
Reporting on data quality 70
17. ( 1 ) .A user or data vendor must report any deficiency in the quality of spatial information to the data custodian or data vendor who supplied the information. \I i t h i n ;I prescribed period after discovering that dpficiencq.
(2) The user or data vendor must provide specific and sufficient information i n thc report to enable the data custodian or data vendor who supplied the spatial information 25 to identify the record concerned and must. if possible. indicate what the record shoulJ contain.
(3 ) The data custodian or data vendor must respond. in the prescribed time and manner, to the user or data vendor after receiving the report on that deticienc).
(4) If ;I data custodian or data vendor does not respond within the prescribed time. the 30 user or data vendor may refer the matter to the Committee. and the Committee ma!. tahc any remedial action i t considers necessary or expedient.
Security of spatial information
18. A data custodian must- ( t r ~ take reasonable steps to effect adequate and appropriate securit! ugainht the 55
loss of spatial information in his, her or its custody or any unx1thorisc.d o r unlawful access to and modification or disclosure of that spatial information: and
( h ) ensure the protection of the copyright of the State and other interested parties in spatial information in his, her or its custody, 40
Delegation of powers
19. The Minister may, in general or in a particular case. i n writing delegate t o thc Director-General or any officer in the service of the national government an!. po \w~- . except the power to make regulations, conferred upon him or her in terms of this Act.
20. ( 1 ) The Minister may by notice in the Guzette make regulations in respect of- ( ( I ) any matter which is required or permitted to be prescribed under this Act: ( 0 ) criteria for the nomination, selection and appointment of any person a s ;I
member of the Committee; (c j the manner and specification for the capturing of spatial information. 50
including any application for exemption from such manner or specitication: (d) measures relating to the avoidance of duplication of capture, safeguarding the
integrity of captured spatial information, and access to and distribution of spatial information; and
Act No. 54,2003 SPATIAL DATA INFRASTRUCTURE ACT. 7003 ~~
(e) any administrative or procedural matter necessary to give effect t o the objects
(2) The Minister must, before making, amending or repealing any regulation under subsection (l) , publish the proposed regulation, amendment or repeal once i n the Gazerre and call for written comments by any interested party to be provided within 30 5 days after such publication.
of this Act.
21. No person is liable for anything done in good faith in the exercise or periormance or purported exercise or performance of any power or duty in terms of this Act.
Short title and commencement 1 0
22. (1) This Act is called the Spatial Data Infrastructure Act, 2003. and comes into
(2) Different dates may be determined in respect of different provisions of t h i j Act and operation on a date fixed by the President by proclamation in the Gacette.
different organs of state.