Foreign Investment and Technology Transfer Act,2049 E
THE FOREIGN INVESTMENT AND
TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER ACT, 2049 (1992)
Date of Authentication and publication
Amendment Acts 27 kartik 049 (12 Nov. 1992)
1. The Foreign Investment and Technology Transfer
(First Amendment) Act, 2052 2052/10/10 (24 Jan. 1996)
2. Some Nepal Laws Amendment Act, 2057♣ 2057/4/26 (10 Aug. 2000)
3. Income tax Acts, 2058 2058.12.19 (1 April 200 )
4. Republic Strengthening and Some Nepal 2066-10-7 (21 Jan. 2010)
Laws Amendment Act, 2066 (2010)
Act Number 34 of the Year 2049 (1992)
AN ACT MADE TO PROVIDE FOR MATTERS RELATING TO FOREIGN
INVESTMENT AND TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER
Preamble Whereas, in the process of industrialization of the country, it is expedient to
promote foreign investment and technology transfer for making the economy viable,
dynamic and competitive through the maximum mobilization of the limited capital,
human and the other natural resources.
Be it enacted by Parliament in the twenty first year of the reign of His Majesty's King
Birendra Bir Birkram Shah Dev.
1. Short Title and Commencement: (1) This Act may be called "The Foreign
Investment and Technology Transfer Act, 2049 (1992)"
(2) This Act shall come into force immediately .
2. Definitions: Unless the subject or context otherwise requires, n this Act:-
♣ It came into force on 18 Kartik 2054.
(a) "Industry" means any industry as referred to in Section 3 of the Industrial
Enterprises Act, 2049 (1992).
(b) "Foreign Investment" means the following investment made by a foreign
investor in any industry"
(1) Investment in Share (Equity)
(2) Reinvestment of the earnings derived from the investment as
referred to in Sub-section (1) above,
(3) Investment made in the form of loan or loan facilities.
(c) "Technology Transfer" means any transfer of technology to be made under
an agreement between an industry and a foreign investor on the following
(1) Use of any technological right, specialization, formula, process,
patent or technical know-how of foreign origin.
(2) Use of any trademark of foreign ownership.
(3) Acquiring any foreign technical, consultancy, management and
(d) "Foreign Investor" means any foreign individual, firm, company or
corporate body involved in foreign investment or technology transfer
including foreign government or international agency.
(e) "Board" means the Industrial Promotion Board Constituted under Section
12 of the Industrial Enterprises Act, 1992.
(f) "Department" means the Department of Industries or Department of cottage
and Small Industries of Government of Nepal or any other department
office or agency as specified by Government of Nepal.
(g) "Prescribed" or "As prescribed" means prescribed or as prescribed in the
Rules made under this Act or in an order issued by the Government of
Nepal by notification published in Nepal Gazette.
3. Permission to be Obtained: (1) Permission of the Department shall be required
to be obtained for foreign investment or technology transfer.
(2) A person desiring to avail the foreign investment or technology
transfer shall be required to make an application t the Department in the
prescribed form along with the prescribed particulars for obtaining permission in
∇(3) If an application is made pursuant to Sub-section (2) the Department
shall, in the case of an industry with fixed assists up to five hundred million
rupees, itself, and in the case of an industry with fixed assets in excess thereof, in
accordance with the decision of the Board, grant permission within thirty days
from the date of application. The Department shall communicate the decision
made in regard to such permission to the applicant.
∇ (4) Notwithstanding anything contained in Sub-section (1) and (2) no
permission shall be granted for making foreign investment in the industries set
forth in the Annex.
Provided that permission may be granted for the transfer of technology in
∇ Amendment by First Amendment
× Repealed by First Amendment
5. Facilities and Concessions: (1) ........................∞
(2) A foreign investor making investment in foreign currency shall be
entitled to repatriate the following amount outside N pal:-
a) The amount received by the sale of the share of foreign investment
as a whole or any part thereof.
b) The amount received as profit or divided in lieu of the foreign
c) The amount received as the payment of the princial of and interest
on any foreign loan.
(3) A foreign investor shall be entitled to repatriate outside Nepal the
amount received under an agreement for the transfer of technology in such
currency as set forth in the concerned agreement.
6. Provisions Relating to Visa: (1) A foreign national visiting Nepal in
connection with undertaking any study or carrying out any research with the
objective of making investment in Nepal shall be provided a non tourist visa for up
to six months.
∇ (2) A foreign investor or dependent family or authorized representative
of such a foreign investor and department family of such authorized representative
shall for the purpose of stay in Nepal be provided a business visa until the foreign
investment is retained.
Provided that a foreign investor who, at a time, makes investment in an
amount no less than one hundred thousand United States dollar or in convertible
∞ Repealed by Some Nepal Laws revision Act, 2057
⊕ Repealed by Income Tax Act, 2058
∇ Amendment by First Amendment
foreign currency equivalent thereto, and his/her dependent family shall be granted
a residential visa until such investment is retained.
7. Settlement of Disputes: (1) If any dispute arises between a foreign investor,
national investor or the concerned industry, the concerned parties shall be required
to settle the dispute by mutual consultations in the presence of the Department.
(2) If the dispute could not be settled in the manner as referred to in
Sub-section (1) it shall be settled by arbitration n accordance with the prevailing
arbitration Rules of the United Nations commission on International Trade Law
(3) The arbitration shall be held in Kathmandu. The laws of Nepal shall
be applicable in the arbitration.
♠(4) Notwithstanding anything contained in Sub-sections (1), (2) and (3)
above, disputes arising in regard to foreign investm nt made in the industries with
investment as prescribed may be settled as mentioned in the foreign investment
8. Power to Frame Rules: Government of Nepal may frame necessary Rules for
carrying out the objectives of this Act.
9. This Act to Prevail: Notwithstanding anything contained in the existing laws,
matters stipulated under this Act and Rules made thereunder shall be dealt
9A. Power to Make Alternation or Amendment in Annex: Government of
Nepal may, by notification in the Nepal Gazette, make necessary alterations or
amendments in Part (B) of the Annex.
♠ Inserted by First Amendment .
10. Repeal and Savings: (1) The Foreign Investment and Technology Act, 1981 is
(2) All acts performed or action taken under the Foreign Investment and
Technology Act, 1981 shall deemed to have been performed or taken under this
(Relating to Sub-section (4) of Section (3) Industrie not to be granted permission for
making foreign investment)
1. Cottage Industries.
2. Personal Service Business (Business such as Hair Cutting, Beauty Parlour,
Tailoring, Driving Training etc.)
3. Arms and Ammunition Industries.
4. Explosives, Gunpowder
5. Industries related to Radio-Active Materials.
6. Real Estate Business (Excluding Construction Industries)
7. Motion Pictures Business (Produced in ........... the language of the nation)
8. Security Printing
9. Currencies and Coinage Business
1. Other Retail Business except the Retail Business intantly conducted more than
Two countries as International transaction.
Deleted by the Republic Strengthening and Some Nepal Laws Amendment Act, 2066 (2010) Amended by the notice of Nepal Gazette of 2062.8.6 Deleted by a Notification published in the Nepal gazette dated 2062.8.6
7. ..............., Bidi (Tobacco), ............ (excluding those exporting more that 90%)
8. Internal Courier Service
9. Atomic Energy
11. Poultry Farming
14. Other Consultancy Services such as Management, Accounting, Engineering and
Legal Services besides Consultancy Services having the foreign investment up to
Fifty One percent.
15. Beauty paler
16. Domestic food processing methods in rent .
17. Local catering Service
18. Rural tourism
Deleted by a Notification published in the Nepal gazette dated 2062.8.6
Inserted by a Notification published in the Nepal gazette dated 2058.5.21