Decorations Act, 2064 _2007_ E
Decorations Act, 2064 (2007)
Date of Authentication and Publication
2064.4.32(17 Aug. 2007)
Decorations (First) Amendment Act,
2065(2008) 2065.5.8 (24 Aug. 2008)
Act Number 9 of the year 2064(2007) enacted by the Legislature-Parliament
An Act made to make legal provisions in relation to decorations
Preamble: Whereas, it is expedient to make timely provisions the provisions
of conferring decoration such as honours and titles, decorations and medals on
behalf of the country in recognition and honor of personalities who render
outstanding contribution to various walks of national life;
Now, therefore, be it enacted by the Legislature-Parliament.
1. Short title and commencement: (1) This Act may be called as the
"Decorations Act, 2064 (2007).”
(2) This Act shall come into force immediately.
2. Definitions: Unless the subject or the context otherwise requires, in this
(a) "Decorations" means honours and titles, decorations and medals to
be conferred pursuant to this Act.
(b) "Committee" means the Decorations Committee as referred to in
(c) "Titles and honours" means the titles and honours as referred to in
(d) "Alankar" means the Alankars as referred to in Section 12.
(e) "Medals" means the medals as referred to in Section 16.
(f) "Prescribed" or "as prescribed" means prescribed or as prescribed in
the Rules framed under this Act.
Procedure for Conferring Decorations
3. Power to confer decorations: (1) The Government of Nepal may, on the
recommendation of the Committee, confer decoration, pursuant to this Act,
on any citizen of Nepal who has rendered special contribution to the
political, economic, social, cultural and research walk of national life as
well as other walks or international sector.
(2) Notwithstanding anything contained in Sub-section (1), the
Government of Nepal may, in honor, confer decoration on any foreign
citizen who is renowned in any area internationally or has rendered special
contribution to the interest of Nepal.
(3) Decorations to be conferred pursuant to Sub-section (1) or (2)
shall be conferred on any national day as specified by the Government of
(4) In conferring decorations pursuant to Sub-sections 91) and (2),
the Government of Nepal shall issue a public notice for the information of
the people generally, also setting out the names of persons receiving
decorations and types of such decorations and contribution rendered by
them to the national life, and such a notice shall also be published in the
4. Decoration Committee: (1) There shall be a Decoration Committee as
follows to make recommendation to the Council of Ministers in relation to
decorations to be conferred pursuant to this Act:
(a) Senior Deputy Prime Minister or in
the case where he or she is not
appointed, the Senior Minister of the
Council of Ministers -Chairperson
(b) Minister for Home Affairs -Member
(c) Six persons including woman as
designated by the Council of
Ministers on the basis of principle of
inclusion from amongst the persons
who have rendered outstanding
contribution to the national life -Member
(d) Home Secretary -Member secretary
(2) The meetings of the Committee shall be held at such time and
venue as specified by the chairperson.
(3) The Rules of procedures of meetings of the Committee shall be
as determined by the Committee itself.
5. Procedure for recommending decorations: (1) If the following office-
bearers, employees or personalities have contributed to the nation by doing
excellent work in their respective fields, the following bodies or authorities
shall make a recommendation, along with the description of contributions
rendered by such office-bearers, employees or personalities, in the format
set forth in the Schedule, to the Committee within e specified time:
(a) The Foreign Minister, in the case of heads of state,
heads of government, ministers or equivalent official
or office-bearers there above and other citizens of
(b) The Committee, in the case of office-bearers of
constitutional bodies, and the chief of the concerned
constitutional bodies, in the case of employees;
(c) The Secretary General, in the case of the employees of
the Secretariat of the Legislative-Parliament;
(d) The concerned Minister, in the case of the employees
concerned with any Minister or any persons who are
related with that Ministry but are not in the
(e) The Minister for Home Affairs, in the case of persons
other than those set forth in Clauses (a) to (d).
(2) Upon receipt of a recommendation from the concer ed body or
office-bearer for decorations pursuant to Sub-section (1), the Committee
shall make necessary examination and make a recommendation to the
Council of Ministers for conferring decorations, along with a list of names
of such office-bearers, employees and personalities who have been found
appropriate for conferring decorations on them pursuant to this Act and the
rules framed under this Act and setting out the types of decorations
conferrable on them.
(3) In recommending for honours and titles on citizens of foreign
countries, such a recommendation shall be made alsotaking into
consideration of the practices of such countries.
6. Grounds for recommendation of decorations: Recommendations to
the Committee for decorations shall be made on the following grounds:
(a) Having rendered special contribution to works of enhancing the
glory of the nation;
(b) Having done excellent job in his or her field and rendered
contribution to the nation;
(c) In the case of persons associated with the governm nt service,
having performed the works entrusted to him or her admirably;
(d) In the case of foreign citizens, having rendere special contribution
to the prosperity of Nepal and to the enhancing of the honour of
Nepal at the international level;
(e) Having rendered special contribution to the public interest by
performing any courageous or intellectual work;
(f) Having met other grounds as prescribed.
7. Decoration ceremony: (1) The Prime Minister shall grant the decoration,
insignia group and miniature thereof to the person receiving the decoration
on the decoration ceremony.
(2) Notwithstanding anything contained in Sub-section (1), the
Council of Ministers may arrange for decoration conferring ceremony at
any time for conferring decorations on the heads of state or heads of
government or dignitaries of foreign countries pursuant to this Act.
(3) If a person receiving a decoration is not able to appear on the day
of decoration ceremony for any reason, he or she shall received the logo
group and miniature of the decoration for the Ministry of Home Affairs.
(4) If a decoration is conferred on a person after his or her death or a
person receiving a decoration dies prior to the performance of decoration
conferring ceremony, his or her wife or husband or failing such wife or
husband, his or her eldest offspring, or failing any offspring, his or her near
heir shall receive the group of logo, decoration/title or honor and miniature.
(5) A person receiving a decoration shall not put on the group of
logo thereof prior to the holding of the decoration conferring ceremony.
Titles and Honours
8. Types and order of honor of titles and honours: (1) The titles and
honours to be conferred pursuant to this Act shall be of the following types:
(a) Nepal Ratna.
(b) Rastra Gaurab.
(c) Rastra Deep.
(d) Janasewa Shree.
(2) The order of honor of titles and honours shall be maintained
according to the order set forth in Sub-section (1).
9. Method of putting on titles and honours: The method of putting on
titles and honours shall be as prescribed.
10. Putting on titles and honours of foreign countries: (1) In putting on
titles and honours on a formal ceremony of any foreign country or foreign
embassy, where any minister of the foreign country or office-bearer holding
higher office than that, only the titles and honours of own country and of
that country may be put on.
(2) A person who has received titles and honours of own country and
of a foreign country shall not be entitled to put on nly the titles and
honours of a foreign country without putting on thetitles and honours of
11. Miniature of titles and honours: (1) A miniature as prescribed by the
Committee shall be granted to a person receiving a title and honor.
12. Alankar: (1) The Alankars to be conferred on any person pursuant to this
Act shall be as follows:
(a) Rastra Yeshovardak.
(b) Nepal Sewa Prawin.
(c) Samaj Sewa Ratna.
(2) The Alankars to be conferred on the Nepal Army only pursuant
to this Act shall be as follows:
(a) Param Paurakh Bhaskar.
(b) Ati Paurakh Bhaskar.
(c) Maha Paurakh Bhaskar.
(3) The Alankars to be conferred on the Nepal Police only pursuant
to this Act shall be as follows:
(a) Nepal Pratap Subhusan.
(b) Nepal Pratap Aabhusan.
(c) Nepal Pratap Bhusan.
13. Order of honor: (1) The order of Alankars shall be as follows:
(a) Rastra Yeshovardak.
(b) Param Paurakh Bhaskar
(c) Nepal Pratap Subhusan.
(d) Nepal Sewa Prawin.
(e) Ati Paurakh Bhaskar.
(f) Nepal Pratap Aabhusan.
(g) Samaj Sewa Ratna.
(h) Maha Paurakh Bhaskar.
(i) Nepal Pratap Bhusan.
(2) In setting the order of honor of titles and honours and Alankars,
the order of honor of titles and honours shall be higher than that of
14. Order of putting on Alankars: (1) In putting on Alankars by a person
who has received more than one Alankar, the person shall put on them from
the right hand side according to the order of honor.
(2) In putting on together the Alankar of own country or Swalpakar
or Pattika thereof and the decoration received from a foreign country or
Swalpakar or Pattika thereof, the Alankar of own country or Swalpakar or
Pattika thereof shall be put on the right hand side of the decoration received
from a foreign country or Swalpakar or Pattika thereof.
(3) In putting on more than one Alankar received from a foreign
country, they shall be put as per the order according to the date of confer.
15. Addition of Khukuri in case of repetition of Alankar: If a person
who has received any Alankar again receives the same Alankar another
time, the Pattika of the Alankar that he or she has received earlier shall
keep on containing one Khukuri made of the metal of that Alankari for each
16. Types and order of honor of medals: The medals to be conferred on
any persons pursuant to this Act and the order of honor thereof shall be as
(a) Lok Shree Padak.
( b) Rastra Sewa Padak.
(c) Satkarya Padak.
(d) Samaj Sewa Padak.
(e) Sikchha Jyoti Padak.
(f) Sagarmatha Padak.
(g) Sukriti Padak.
(h) Beerata Padak.
(i) Shourya Padak.
(j) Prakirtik Prokop Pidit Udder Padak.
(k) Bikash Ratna Padak.
(l) Shanti Padak.
(m) Bigyan Prawin Padak.
(n)1 Election to Constituent Assembly Medal.
(2) In setting the order of honor of Alankars and medals, the order of
honor of Alankars shall be higher than that of medals.
17. Sign to be added on receiving medal again: If a person who has once
received a medal pursuant to this Act receives a medal again, one
centimeter long Khukuri of bronze for the first time, that of copper for the
second time and that of gold for the third time shall be added each time to
the Pattika received originally.
18. Order of putting on medals: (1) In putting on medals by a person who
has received more than one medal, the person shall put them on from the
right side according to the order of honor.
(2) In putting on the same time the medals of own country or their
miniatures or Pattika and decorations received from foreign countries or
their miniatures or Pattika, the medals received from own country or their
miniatures or Pattika shall be put on the right side of the decorations
received from foreign countries or their miniatures or Pattika.
19. Permission to be obtained to receive titles, honours or decorations
of foreign countries: (1) Prior to receiving any titles, honours or
decorations from any foreign country, any citizen of Nepal shall obtain
permission of the Government of Nepal.
(2) The permission to be obtained pursuant to Sub-section (1) has to
be obtained through the Committee.
1 Amended by the First Amendment.
20. Appreciation of decorations to be set down: (1) The appreciation as
prescribed may be set down in front of the name of recipient of decoration
according to the decoration received by him or her.
(2) Notwithstanding anything contained in Sub-section (1), in
writing the appreciation accordingly in front of the name of a person who
receives more than one decoration, the appreciation shall be set down
according to the order of honor of the decorations received by him or her.
21. Other provisions relating to decorations: Other terms and conditions
required for granting decorations pursuant to this Act and provisions
relating to structure and type and model and group of insignia of
decorations shall be as prescribed.
22. Provisions relating to Swalpakar, Pattika and Tarika: A person who
receives decoration may put on the Swalpakar, Pattika and Tarika as
23. Power to purchase: (1) If a person loses a decoration which he or she has
received or the decoration is destroyed, the person may purchase the same
from the Ministry of Home or the place designated by that Ministry.
(2) The Swalpakar and Tarika may be purchased from the Ministry
of Home or the place designated by that Ministry.
24. Restriction on bringing into use of decorations: No institution or
person shall award any decoration by making it similar to those to be
granted by the Government of Nepal in respect of name, structure and
25. Power to alter or change decorations: The Government of Nepal may,
as required, alter or change the number, size, type and structure of
26. Power to revoke decorations: (1) The Government of Nepal may
revoke any decoration granted to any citizen of Nepal or a foreign person
pursuant to this Act in any of the following circumstances:
(a) If he or she raises arms or attempts to raise arms
against Nepal or assist an enemy state in any manner
or spies against Nepal,
(b) If, during a war in which Nepal is also involved, he or
she takes part in the war from the side of the enemy
state of Nepal,
(c) If he or she sells or pledges the decoration receiv d by
him or her to another person,
(d) If he or she uses the decoration received by him or her
or allows it to be used by another person in a manner
to be contrary to the honor of the decoration.
(2) If any decoration is revoked pursuant to Sub-section (1), the
Government of Nepal shall issue a public notice setting out, inter alia, the
name of recipient of the decoration and the revoked d coration, for
information to the general public.
27. Decoration may be returned voluntarily: If any person desires to
return a decoration received by him or her pursuant to this Act, he or she
shall hand over the insignia group of such decoratin o the Ministry of
28. Power to frame Rules: The Government of Nepal may frame necessary
Rules for the implementation of the objectives of this Act.
29. Repeal: (1) Decorations Rules, 2048 is, hereby, repealed.
(2) The provisions relating to the decorations granted pursuant to the
Regulation as referred to in Sub-section (1) shall be as prescribed.
(Relating to Sub-section (1) of Section 5)
Decoration recommendation form
Government of Nepal
Designation: (if engaged in the government service)
Description of scope of work and work: (in the case of persons engaged in other
sectors except the government service
In the case of person engaged in the government service:
Designation of the
If any decoration has
already been received,
the name of decoration,
The reasons/grounds for making recommendation for decoration and full
description in support thereof: