SEIMAS OF THE REPUBLIC OF LITHUANIA
ON THE CONTINUITY OF FOREIGN POLICY DIRECTIONS
16 november 2004
Having convened to the first session of its new term following the 2004 elections, the Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania hereby solemnly declares:
1. The foreign policy of the Republic of Lithuania will be continued and based on the Resolution of the Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania of 1 May 2004 “On Directions in Foreign Policy of the Republic of Lithuania Following Lithuania’s Accession to NATO and the European Union” as well as on the Agreement between political parties of the Republic of Lithuania of 5 October 2004 “On the Main Foreign Policy Goals and Objectives of Lithuania for 2004-2008.”
2. The Republic of Lithuania, as a full-fledged member of the Euro-Atlantic structures and international organisations, will:
- continue active foreign policy:
- seek to promote and develop the integration of EU member states having regard to the national interests of Lithuania;
- support NATO as the principal organisation for ensuring Euro-Atlantic security and combating modern threats;
- uphold the participation and cooperation of NATO, the European Union and other international organisations in securing world peace, stability and democratic values;
- continue the “open door” policy and cooperation of NATO and the European Union with other states.
The Republic of Lithuania will actively participate in these processes and endeavour to establish itself as an active and responsible European Union and NATO member state and an influential state in the region.
CHAIRMAN OF THE SEIMAS OF
THE REPUBLIC OF LITHUANIA ARTŪRAS PAULAUSKAS