On Amendments to the Baltic Assembly Statutes
The Baltic Assembly decides to amend the Baltic Assembly Statutes in the following way:
1. In Article 2:
to replace in the first sentence the number “20” with ”from 12 to 20”;
to add to the Article the following new sentence “The number of delegation members shall remain unchanged for the entire term of office of the relevant parliament.”
2. In Subparagraph 5, Paragraph 2 of Article 6, to add the words “and commissions” after the word “committees”.
3. To amend Article 7 and to set it forth to read as follows:
“Article 7. Quorum of the Baltic Assembly Session
1. A regular or an extraordinary Session of the Baltic Assembly shall have the power to act if more than half of the members of each national delegation are present.
2. The registration of the members of the delegations shall be conducted before the opening of the Session and upon the request of the national delegations.”
4. To amend Paragraph 2 of Article 12 and to set it forth to read as follows:
“2. The Baltic Assembly may declare the Session or a part thereof closed by a joint decision of the national delegations.”
5. In Article 14:
- to amend Paragraph 2 and to set it forth to read as follows:
“2. Each national delegation shall have one vote. A decision shall be deemed adopted if all the national delegations have voted in favour of it.”;
- to delete former Paragraphs 3 and 4.
6. In Paragraph 2 of Article 17:
- to add to the Paragraph the following new Subparagraphs 14 and 15:
“14) to organise a meeting with the speakers of the national parliaments during the Session of the Baltic Assembly;
15) in the period between sessions, to make decisions on behalf of the Baltic Assembly regarding topical/conceptual issues if there is a consensus among the national delegations;”;
- to regard former Subparagraph 14 as Subparagraph 16.
7. To amend Paragraph 3 of Article 18 and to set it forth to read as follows:
“3. A meeting of the Presidium may be attended by committee chairmen, members of the national delegations, representatives of the relevant committees of the national parliaments and other persons invited by the Presidium. At least once a year the Presidium shall invite chairmen and vice chairmen of the committees and representatives of the Baltic Council of Ministers to its meeting to evaluate the activities of the current year and to set priorities for the next year.”
8. To amend Paragraph 2 of Article 20 and to set it forth to read as follows:
“2. The standing committees of the Baltic Assembly shall be the following:
1) Economic Affairs, Communications and Informatics Committee;
2) Education, Science and Culture Committee;
3) Environmental Protection and Energy Committee;
4) Legal Affairs and Security Committee;
5) Social Affairs Committee.”
9. To amend Paragraph 1 of Article 23 and to set it forth to read as follows:
“1. Each national delegation shall appoint to the Budget and Audit Committee two of its members who are neither the chairman nor vice chairman of the delegation.”
10. To delete in Chapter 2 the text:
Drafting Committee of the Baltic Assembly”
11. To amend Article 27 and to set it forth to read as follows:
“Article 27. Drafting Committee
1. Before a Session the Presidium, but at the beginning of the Session the Baltic Assembly may appoint a Drafting Committee. Each national delegation shall appoint one member to the Drafting Committee.
2. Meetings of the Drafting Committee shall take place during the Baltic Assembly Session.
3. The Drafting Committee shall:
1) consider all draft documents to be presented at the Session and, in order to achieve uniformity in style and form, make necessary amendments to them, as well as coordinate these amendments with the committees that have prepared the relevant documents;
2) provide its conclusions regarding all the documents subject to adoption at the Session;
3) approve the final versions of the draft documents and put them to a vote at the Session.”
12. To delete former Articles 28, 29, 30 and 31.
13. To regard former Section 5 of Chapter 2 as Section 4.
14. To regard former Articles 32 and 33 as Articles 28 and 29 accordingly.
15. To regard former Section 6 of Chapter 2 as Section 5.
16. To regard former Articles 34 and 35 as Articles 30 and 31 accordingly.
17. To regard former Article 36 as Article 32 and to amend it as follows:
- to add at the beginning of Paragraph 1 the words: “The Presidium,”;
- to add at the beginning of Paragraph 2 the word “Only”.
18. To regard former Articles 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 and 42 as Articles 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 and 38 accordingly.
19. To delete former Article 43.
20. To regard former Articles 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 and 54 as Articles 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 and 49 accordingly.
Riga, 19 December 2004