republic of lithuania
on the declaration of the REPUBLIC of LITHUANIA
IN CONFORMITY WITH PARAGRAPH 2 of article 36 of
the statute of the international court of justice annexed to the charter of the united nations regarding
the recognition of the compulsory jurisdiction of
the international court of justice
18 September 2012 No XI-2221 Vilnius
Article 1. Declaration of the Republic of Lithuania
1. With reference to paragraph 2 of Article 36 of the Statute of the International Court of Justice (hereinafter referred to as the “Court”), the Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania declares that the Republic of Lithuania recognizes as compulsory ipso facto and without special agreement, in relation to any other State accepting the same obligation in conformity with paragraph 2 of Article 36 of the Statute of the Court, the jurisdiction of the Court, until such time as notice may be given to the Secretary-General of the United Nations withdrawing this declaration and with effect as from the moment of such notification, over all disputes arising after the present declaration with regard to situations and facts subsequent to this declaration, other than:
1) any dispute which the parties thereto have agreed to have recourse to some other method of peaceful settlement or which is subject to another method of settlement chosen by the parties by mutual agreement;
2) any dispute relating to any matter excluded from compulsory adjudication or arbitration under any treaty, to which the Republic of Lithuania is a party, or any other instrument imposing international obligations to the Republic of Lithuania;
3) any dispute which arises from or is connected with a military operation carried out in accordance with a decision taken by consensus or unanimity by international security and defence organisation or organisation implementing common security and defence policy, to which the Republic of Lithuania is a member;
4) any dispute in respect of which any other party to the dispute has accepted the compulsory jurisdiction of the Court only in relation to or for the purpose of the dispute; or where the acceptance of the Court’s compulsory jurisdiction on behalf of any other party to the dispute was deposited or ratified less than twelve months prior to the filing of the application bringing the dispute before the Court.
2. The Republic of Lithuania also reserves the right at any time, by means of a notification addressed to the Secretary-General of the United Nations, and with effect as from the moment of such notification, either to add to, amend or withdraw any of the reservations referred to in subparagraphs 1-4 of paragraph 1 of this Article, or any that may hereafter be added.
I promulgate this Law passed by the Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania.
PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC DALIA GRYBAUSKAITĖ