S.I. No. 352/2013 - Sea-Fisheries and Maritime Jurisdiction (Mussel Seed) (Opening of Fisheries) Regulations 2013.
Notice of the making of this Statutory Instrument was published in
“Iris Oifigiúil” of 17th September, 2013.
I, SIMON COVENEY, Minister for Agriculture, Food and the Marine, in exercise of the powers conferred on me by section 15 of the Sea-Fisheries and Maritime Jurisdiction Act 2006 (No. 8 of 2006) and the Sea-Fisheries, Foreshore and Dumping at Sea (Transfer of Departmental Administration and Ministerial Functions) Order 2007 ( S.I. No. 707 of 2007 ) (as adapted by the Agriculture, Fisheries and Food (Alteration of Name of Department and Title of Minister) Order 2011 ( S.I. No. 455 of 2011 )), hereby make the following regulations:
1. These Regulations may be cited as the Sea-Fisheries and Maritime Jurisdiction (Mussel Seed) (Opening of Fisheries) Regulations 2013 and come into operation on 12 September 2013.
2. In these Regulations “mussel seed” means mussels (mytilus edulis) whether alive or dead and includes any part of a mussel and the shell, or any part of the shell, of a mussel and which are not intended for direct human consumption.
3. (1) Subject to paragraph (2), a person may fish for mussel seed in the exclusive fishery limits of the State where that person holds an authorisation to fish for mussel seed granted under section 13 of the Sea-Fisheries and Maritime Jurisdiction Act 2006 or a licence granted by the relevant competent authority of Northern Ireland.
(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to—
(a) the geographical areas listed in paragraph 4 of the Fisheries Natura Declaration No. 3 of 2013 (Mussel Seed Fisheries) made under Regulation 9 of European Union (Birds and Natural Habitats) (Sea-fisheries) Regulations 2013 ( S.I. No. 290 of 2013 ), and
(b) the Moville Area (within the meaning of the Foyle Fisheries Act 1952 (No. 5 of 1952)) and the Louth Area (within the meaning of section 31 of the British-Irish Agreement Act, 1999 (No. 1 of 1999)) or any part thereof, if, and to the extent that mussel seed fishing is subject to Regulations under section 13 of the Foyle Fisheries Act 1952 .
4. These Regulations shall cease to have effect on 30 November 2013.
GIVEN under my Official Seal,
5 September 2013.
Minister for Agriculture, Food and the Marine.
(This note is not part of the Instrument and does not purport to be a legal interpretation).
These Regulations are to provide for the opening of the mussel seed fishery from 12 September 2013.