S.I. No. 114/2014 - Control on places where poultry are kept Regulations 2014.
Notice of the making of this Statutory Instrument was published in
“Iris Oifigiúil” of 7th March, 2014.
I, SIMON COVENEY, Minister for Agriculture, Food and the Marine, in exercise of the powers conferred on me by sections 36 of the Animal Health and Welfare Act 2013 (No. 15 of 2013), hereby make the following regulations:
1. These Regulations may be cited as the Control on places where poultry are kept Regulations 2014 and come into operation on 6 March 2014.
2. In these Regulations-
“Act” means Animal Health and Welfare Act 2013 ;
“poultry” means birds reared or kept in captivity for the production of meat, eggs or other products, or for re-stocking supplies of game or poultry;
“Minister” means Minister for Agriculture, Food and the Marine.
3. (1) A person shall not have in his or her possession or under his or her control, buy or sell poultry unless the land or premises where the poultry is kept is entered in the register maintained under this Regulation (“register of poultry premises”).
(2) The Minister may maintain the register of poultry premises, enter the name and address of a person, the name and address of land or premises and the identity of poultry on the land or premises in the register of poultry premises, attach conditions to registration, suspend or revoke registration or refuse an application.
(3) An application for registration shall be in a form and contain any information that the Minister may require and may be made electronically in accordance with the directions of the Minister.
(4) The Minister shall not consider an application unless the application contains all the information sought by the Minister.
(5) A person whose name is entered in the register of poultry premises shall make such returns to the Minister as the Minister may require.
(6) A person to whom registration relates shall maintain a daily record of—
(a) poultry mortalities on the land or premises,
(b) egg production,
(c) food and water intake, and
(d) purchases, sales and supplies of eggs used for breeding purposes or poultry and copies of associated health certificates and commercial documents.
4. A record maintained under Regulation 3 shall be maintained for 2 years and made available for inspection on demand by an authorised officer.
5. If a person ceases to keep poultry on land or a premises he or she shall inform the Minister who shall amend the register of poultry premises accordingly.
6. Registration under the Diseases of Animal Act 1966 (Regulation of poultry premises) Order 2008 that was in effect immediately before the commencement of the Act continues to have effect and may be dealt with as if it were registration under these Regulations.
7. Regulation 3(1) is a penal provision to which section 36 (4) (b) of the Act applies.
8. Regulations 3(5) and (6), 4 and 5, are penal provisions to which section 36 (4) (a) of the Act applies.
GIVEN under my Official Seal,
4 March 2014.
Minister for Agriculture Food and the Marine.
(This note is not part of the Instrument and does not purport to be a legal interpretation.)
These Regulations provide for the registration of land and premises where poultry are kept and maintenance of records regarding poultry.