S.I. No. 68/2014 - County of Westmeath Local Electoral Areas and Municipal Districts Order 2014.
Notice of the making of this Statutory Instrument was published in
“Iris Oifigiúil” of 7th February, 2014.
The Minister for the Environment, Community and Local Government, in exercise of the powers conferred on him by sections 4 and 23 of the Local Government Act 2001 (No. 37 of 2001) and having regard to section 28 (1)(d) of the Local Government Reform Act 2014 (No. 1 of 2014) hereby orders as follows:
1. This Order may be cited as the County of Westmeath Local Electoral Areas and Municipal Districts Order 2014.
2. (1) The County of Westmeath shall be divided into the local electoral areas which are named in the first column of the Schedule to this Order.
(2) Each such local electoral area shall consist of the area described in the second column of the Schedule to this Order opposite the name of such local electoral area.
(3) The number of members of Westmeath County Council to be elected for each such local electoral area shall be the number set out in the third column of the Schedule to this Order opposite the name of that local electoral area.
3. Every reference in the Schedule to this Order to an electoral division shall be construed as referring to such electoral division as existing at the date of this Order.
4. A reference in the Schedule to this Order to a line drawn along a railway line shall be construed as a reference to an imaginary line drawn along the centre of such railway line.
5. The County of Westmeath shall have the following municipal districts for the purposes of section 22A (inserted by the Local Government Reform Act 2014 (No. 1 of 2014)) of the Local Government Act 2001 (No. 37 of 2001):
(a) the Municipal District of Athlone consisting of the Local Electoral Area of Athlone;
(b) the Municipal District of Mullingar consisting of the Local Electoral Areas of Mullingar-Coole and Mullingar-Kilbeggan.
6. The County of Westmeath Local Electoral Areas Order 2008 ( S.I. No. 451 of 2008 ) is revoked.
Name of Local Electoral Area
Description of Local Electoral Area
Number of Members to be elected for each Local Electoral Area
The electoral divisions of Ardnagragh, Athlone East Rural, Athlone East Urban, Athlone West Urban, Auburn, Ballybroder, Ballymore, Ballymorin, Bellanalack, Carn, Castledaly, Doonis, Drumraney, Glassan, Jamestown, Kilcumreragh, Killare, Killinure, Moate, Mount Temple, Moydrum, Muckanagh, Noughaval, Streamstown, Templepatrick, Tubbrit, Umma, Winetown.
Mullingar — Coole
The electoral divisions of Ballinlough, Ballyhealy, Ballynaskeagh, Boherquill, Bracklin, Castle, Cloghan, Clonarney, Clonlost, Collinstown, Coole, Coolure, Copperalley, Delvin, Derrymore, Enniscoffey, Faughalstown, Finnea, Fore East, Fore West, Gaybrook, Glore, Griffinstown, Heathstown, Hilltown, Huntingdon, Kilcumny, Killua, Killucan, Killulagh, Kilpatrick, Kinnegad, Kinturk, Knockarrow, Knockdrin, Lackan, Milltown, Multyfarnham, Owel, Raharney, Riverdale, Rosmead, Russellstown, Stonehall, Street, Taghmon, Woodland; and those parts of the electoral divisions of Mullingar North Urban, Mullingar Rural and Mullingar South Urban situated north and east of a line drawn along the Dublin-Sligo railway line.
Mullingar — Kilbeggan
The electoral divisions of Ardnaglew, Ballinalack, Ballykilmore, Ballynagore, Belvidere, Carrick, Castlelost, Castletown, Churchtown, Clonfad, Dysart, Emper, Glenlough, Greenpark, Hopestown, Kilbeggan, Kilbixy, Lauree, Middleton, Newtown, Piercetown, Portloman, Rahugh, Rathconrath, Rathowen, Skeagh, Sonna, Tullaghan; and those parts of the electoral divisions of Mullingar North Urban, Mullingar Rural and Mullingar South Urban not contained in the local electoral area of Mullingar — Coole.
GIVEN under the Official Seal of the Minister for the Environment, Community and Local Government,
31 January 2014.
Minister for the Environment, Community and Local Government.
(This note is not part of the Instrument and does not purport to be a legal interpretation.)
The effect of this Order is to amend the division of County Westmeath into local electoral areas, to fix the number of members of Westmeath County Council to be elected for each such area and to determine the municipal districts for County Westmeath.