Cap 293 - Corporate Bodies Contracts Ordinance 1
Chapter: 293 Corporate Bodies Contracts Ordinance Gazette Number Version Date
Long title E.R. 2 of 2014 10/04/2014
To amend the law governing the making of contracts by or on behalf of bodies corporate, and for connected purposes.
[15 August 1969]
(Originally 41 of 1969)
(*Format changes—E.R. 2 of 2014)
* The format of the Ordinance has been updated to the current legislative styles.
Section: 1 Short title E.R. 2 of 2014 10/04/2014
This Ordinance may be cited as the Corporate Bodies Contracts Ordinance.
Section: 2 Cases where contracts need not be under seal E.R. 2 of 2014 10/04/2014
(1) Contracts may be made on behalf of any body corporate, wherever incorporated, as follows-
(a) a contract which if made between private persons would be by law required to be in writing, signed by the
parties to be charged therewith, may be made on behalf of the body corporate in writing signed by any
person acting under its authority, express or implied; and
(b) a contract which if made between private persons would by law be valid although made by parol only and
not reduced into writing, may be made by parol on behalf of the body corporate by any person acting under
its authority, express or implied.
(2) A contract made according to this section shall be effectual in law, and shall bind the body corporate and its
successors and all other parties thereto.
(3) A contract made according to this section may be varied or discharged in the same manner in which it is
authorized by this section to be made.
(4) Nothing in this section shall be taken as preventing a contract under seal from being made by or on behalf of a
(5) This section shall not apply to the making, variation or discharge of a contract before the commencement of this
Ordinance but shall apply whether the body corporate gave its authority before or after the commencement of
[cf. 1960 c. 46 s. 1 U.K.]
Section: 3 Exclusion of companies under Companies Ordinance (Cap
E.R. 2 of 2014 10/04/2014
This Ordinance shall not apply to any company formed and registered under the Companies Ordinance (Cap 622) or to
any existing company as defined in that Ordinance.
(Amended 28 of 2012 ss. 912 & 920; E.R. 2 of 2014)
[cf. 1960 c. 46 s. 2 U.K.]