COUNCIL JOINT ACTION
of 19 July 1999
in relation to the holding of a meeting of Heads of State and Government in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, concerning the Stability Pact for South-Eastern Europe
THE COUNCIL OF THE EUROPEAN UNION,
Having regard to the Treaty on European Union, and in particular Article 14 thereof,
(1) Following the adoption of Common Position 1999/345/CFSP of 17 May 1999 concerning a Stability Pact for South-Eastern Europe(1), the Union has been determined to move this process forward, to the benefit of the region and all others concerned;
(2) A Stability Pact for South-Eastern Europe was adopted by Foreign Ministers in Cologne on 10 June 1999;
(3) In order to enhance stability, prosperity and cooperation between countries in the region, the Union deems it important to send a strong political signal to the people in the region;
(4) Such a signal could be constitued by a high-level political meeting on the Stability Pact to be organised in the region,
HAS ADOPTED THIS JOINT ACTION:
1. In order to facilitate the promotion of stability in the region of South-Eastern Europe, the European Union will contribute to the financial and logistical support for the holding of a meeting of Heads of State and Government concerning the Stability Pact for South-Eastern Europe to be held in Sarajevo and chaired by the Presidency of the European Union.
2. Financial support shall cover costs of organising, staging and hosting the conference, with the exception of expenses for travel and accommodation incurred by the participants.
The financial reference amount for the implementation of Article 1 shall be EUR 1250000.
This Joint Action shall enter into force on the day of its adoption.
It shall apply until 30 September 1999.
This Joint Action shall be published in the Official Journal.
Done at Brussels, 19 July 1999.
For the Council
(1) OJ L 133, 28.5.1999, p. 1.