Board of Examiners Regulations
made under Section 12 of the
Dental Technicians Act
R.S.N.S. 1989, c. 126
O.I.C. 72-251 (March 7, 1972), N.S. Reg. 102/72
1 (1) In these regulations
"Board" means the Board of Examiners;
"Council" means the Council of the Nova Scotia Dental Technicians Association.
General Dental Technicians
2 (2) The Board may register an applicant for admission to the General Dental Technician Training program if the applicant
(a) has attained the age of 17 years;
(b) is of good health and character;
(c) holds a grade XI certificate or equivalent standing;
(d) files with the Board two character references in writing;
(e) files proof of employment by a registered dental technician for the six months immediately preceding the date of his [or her] application, signed by a registered dental technician;
(f) files a recommendation in writing with the Board for admission to the General Dental Technician Training Program signed by the registered dental technician by whom he [or she] was employed during the six months immediately preceding his [or her] application.
(3) The Board may dispense with any requirement set forth in Section (2).
(4) The General Dental Technician Training Program shall consist of continuous employment and training as an apprentice by a registered dental technician for a period of four (4) years.
(5) The General Dental Technician Training Program shall include the study and training in general dental technology and the following four courses:
(a) Removable Prosthetics;
(b) Fixed Prosthetics;
(6) (a) An applicant who has completed any course set forth in Section [subsection] (5) hereof may apply in writing to the Board for examination in the completed course or courses.
(b) The Board upon receipt of an application for examination shall examine an applicant not later than sixty (60) days following receipt of the application.
(7) (a) The examination shall consist of both oral and written questions and practical exercises.
(b) The Board shall direct the Council to issue a certificate of achievement to an applicant who has attained the mark of fifty percent (50%) in the examination in any one of the courses in Section [subsection] (5).
(c) The Board shall direct the Council to issue a General Dental Technicians Certificate to an applicant who has attained the marks of fifty percent (50%) in the examinations of the four courses set forth in Section [subsection] (5).
(8) The Board may permit an applicant who has failed to attain the mark of fifty percent (50%) in the examination in any course or courses to write within twelve (12) months from the date of the examination upon the terms and conditions which the Board in its sole discretion considers fair and reasonable.
3 (9) (a) A general dental technician may register with the Board for the Registered Dental Technician Training Program.
(b) The Registered Dental Technician Training Program shall consist of a course in laboratory and business administration to be completed within one year.
(10) Sections [subsections] (6) to (8) inclusive insofar as the same relate to examination procedure shall apply to a general dental technician who make[s] application to the Board for certification as a registered dental technician except that the Board shall direct the Council to issue a Registered Dental Technician Certificate to a general dental technician who has attained the mark of at least fifty percent (50%) in the examination.
4 (11) (a) The Board of Examiners may direct the Council to issue to an applicant any of the Certificates herein where in its opinion the applicant has adequate training and has attained a mark of fifty percent (50%) in an examination of written questions and practical exercises.
(b) The Board shall specify the curriculum of all courses.
5 (12) The fees fixed in respect to the examinations herein shall be the fees prescribed by the by-laws of the Council.
6 (13) An applicant may obtain application forms by sending a request in writing to the Secretary, the Nova Scotia Dental Technician Association, P.O. Box 623, Halifax, Nova Scotia.