AR 125/98 CROWN PROPERTY REGULATION (Consolidated up to 175/2013)
ALBERTA REGULATION 125/98
Government Organization Act
CROWN PROPERTY REGULATION
Table of Contents
2 Parking prohibition
3 Prohibition of obstruction
5 Prohibition of signs, devices and structures
6 Prohibition of overnight occupancy
7 Control of animals
8 Removal by Minister of Infrastructure
10 Expiry Definitions
1 In this Regulation,
(a) “Crown property” means
(i) any path, passageway, driveway or road through land belonging to or occupied by the Crown and leading to or from any public work belonging to or occupied by the Crown, whether or not the path, passageway, driveway or road has been dedicated or established as a public highway, and
(ii) the gardens, grounds or other areas appurtenant to or used in connection with any public work belonging to or occupied by the Crown,
but does not include
(iii) any land regulated by the Provincial Parks Act, and
(iv) any land under the administration of the Minister of Transportation;
(b) “vehicle” means a device in, on or by which a person or thing may be transported or drawn and includes a combination of vehicles but does not include a mobility aid.
AR 125/98 s1;206/2001;83/2004;171/2008
2 No person shall park a vehicle on Crown property except
(a) in areas designated by the Minister of Infrastructure for public parking, or
(b) in areas reserved for holders of Government parking permits where
(i) that person is the holder of a valid parking permit,
(ii) the permit is displayed in the vehicle, and
(iii) the vehicle is parked in accordance with the terms of the permit.
AR 125/98 s2;83/2004
Prohibition of obstruction
3(1) Subject to subsection (2), no person shall
(a) drive, park or place any vehicle or other object, or
(b) place himself or herself
on Crown property so as to block, obstruct, impede or hinder parking or the flow of vehicular or pedestrian traffic.
(2) No offence is committed under subsection (1) if the blocking, obstructing, impeding or hindering of parking or the flow of vehicular or pedestrian traffic is a result of an emergency situation and the cause of the blockage, obstruction, impediment or hindrance is removed as soon as possible.
4 No person on Crown property shall
(a) drive or place a vehicle on any area not used for vehicular traffic,
(b) prevent or impede entrance to or exit from any area,
(c) cause damage to any property,
(d) congregate with other persons in a disorderly manner, or
(e) interfere with, obstruct, harass or molest any person who is lawfully on Crown property.
Prohibition of signs, devices and structures
5 Unless authorized by the Minister of Infrastructure, no person shall erect or place or cause to be erected or placed on Crown property any sign, device or structure.
AR 125/98 s5;83/2004
Prohibition of overnight occupancy
6 Unless authorized by the Minister of Infrastructure, no person shall, at any time between sunset of one day and sunrise of the next day, occupy, reside, camp or sleep on Crown property.
AR 125/98 s6;171/2008
Control of animals
7(1) No person who has custody or control of an animal shall bring the animal on Crown property or allow the animal to enter or remain on Crown property unless the animal is in a cage or is restrained by a leash, chain, rein or other device that does not exceed 2 metres in length.
(2) No person who has custody or control of an animal shall bring the animal into or allow the animal to enter or remain in any area of Crown property where people swim or wade or where a sign is posted prohibiting the presence of animals.
(3) Subsections (1) and (2) do not apply in respect of
(a) a guide dog within the meaning of the Blind Persons’ Rights Act,
(a.1) a service dog within the meaning of the Service Dogs Act, or
(b) an animal that is being used by a peace officer in the course of that officer’s employment.
(4) If the Minister of Infrastructure considers that an animal is not under control or may be a nuisance or danger to the life, safety, health, property or comfort of any person on Crown property, the Minister of Infrastructure or a person authorized by the Minister of Infrastructure may
(a) prohibit that animal from entering Crown property, or
(b) order that animal to be removed from Crown property.
(5) The Minister of Infrastructure may request that a municipality in which Crown property is located remove from that Crown property and impound any animal whose presence or behaviour contravenes this Regulation.
AR 125/98 s7;83/2004;171/2008
Removal by Minister of Infrastructure
8 The Minister of Infrastructure or a person authorized by the Minister of Infrastructure may remove from any Crown property
(a) any person who contravenes any provision of the Act or this Regulation and any personal property apparently in the possession of that person,
(a.1) any vehicle that is parked or placed on the Crown property in contravention of this Regulation,
(b) any unauthorized sign, device or structure, or
(c) any animal that is the subject of an order under section 7(4)(b).
AR 125/98 s8;83/2004;171/2008
9 The Crown Property Regulation (AR 76/84) is repealed.
10 For the purpose of ensuring that this Regulation is reviewed for ongoing relevancy and necessity, with the option that it may be repassed in its present or an amended form following a review, this Regulation expires on October 31, 2018.
AR 125/98 s10;63/2003;171/2008;175/2013