ALBERTA CENTENNIAL MEDAL ACT ALBERTA CENTENNIAL MEDAL ACT
Table of Contents 1 Definition
2 Alberta Centennial Medal
4.1 Special nominees
6 Revocation of award
HER MAJESTY, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of Alberta, enacts as follows:
1 In this Act, “Minister” means the Minister determined under section 16 of the Government Organization Act as the Minister responsible for this Act.
Alberta Centennial Medal
2(1) The Alberta Centennial Medal is established as an official honour of the Crown in right of Alberta.
(2) The object of the Alberta Centennial Medal is, as part of Alberta’s centennial celebration, to recognize individuals who have made significant contributions to society and to honour their outstanding achievements.
3(1) Canadian citizens who are current or former long-term residents of Alberta are eligible to be awarded the Alberta Centennial Medal.
(2) The Alberta Centennial Medal shall not be awarded posthumously except in the case of a nominee who dies after being approved to be awarded the Alberta Centennial Medal pursuant to section 4(2).
4(1) The individuals and organizations designated in the regulations may nominate individuals to be awarded the Alberta Centennial Medal in accordance with the regulations.
(2) The Minister shall approve the individuals nominated under subsection (1) to be awarded the Alberta Centennial Medal.
(3) The individuals and organizations designated in the regulations shall present the Alberta Centennial Medal and the certificate referred to in section 5 on behalf of the Government of Alberta to the individuals approved by the Minister.
4.1(1) Notwithstanding sections 3(1) and 4(1) and (2), the Minister may nominate other individuals the Minister considers deserving to be awarded the Alberta Centennial Medal.
(2) On the approval of the nominations in accordance with the regulations, the Minister shall award the individuals the Alberta Centennial Medal and shall present the Alberta Centennial Medal and the certificate referred to in section 5 on behalf of the Government of Alberta to the individuals.
2005 c36 s2
5 Recipients of the Alberta Centennial Medal shall receive a certificate issued in accordance with the regulations.
Revocation of award
6(1) The Minister may revoke any award given pursuant to this Act.
(2) If an award is revoked pursuant to subsection (1), the person to whom the Alberta Centennial Medal was awarded shall immediately return to the Minister the medal and certificate that were presented to that person.
(3) The Minister may reinstate any award that has been revoked pursuant to subsection (1).
7 The Minister may make regulations
(a) designating individuals and organizations for the purposes of section 4;
(b) respecting the nomination of individuals;
(c) respecting certificates for the purposes of section 5.