ontario regulation 306/08
made under the
health Protection and Promotion Act
Made: July 23, 2008
Approved: July 23, 2008
Filed: August 29, 2008
Published on e-Laws: September 2, 2008
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: September 13, 2008
Amending Reg. 569 of R.R.O. 1990
1. Regulation 569 of the Revised Regulations of Ontario, 1990 is amended by adding the following section:
5.2 A report under subsection 27 (1) of the Act in respect of Clostridium difficile associated disease (CDAD) outbreaks in public hospitals shall contain the following information in addition to the information required under subsection 1 (1):
1. The name and address of the hospital and the contact person.
2. The agent of disease.
3. The date the outbreak was declared, the date the outbreak was declared over, and the outbreak number.
4. The onset date of the index case and of the last case.
5. The total number of cases.
6. The total number of deaths in cases associated with the outbreak during the outbreak period.
7. Disease control measures utilized to minimize the impact of the outbreak and to prevent the spread of disease.
8. Quantification of the population at risk for the disease in the entire hospital and in the area affected by the outbreak during the outbreak period including, without being limited to, the number of patient days for the entire hospital and the number of patient days for the area affected by the outbreak.
9. Measures taken to monitor the hospital for signs and symptoms consistent with the outbreak in patients of the hospital, including a line list.
10. For each case:
i. The date of admission and the date of discharge.
ii. Laboratory findings and investigative tests including, without being limited to, toxin testing, culture, strain typing, histopathological and colonoscopic examination, together with the results of the tests.
iii. The onset date and clinical details of signs and symptoms.
iv. The date of death and the relation of the disease to the cause of death.
v. Treatment, if any, of the disease.
vi. Complications and outcome of the disease.
vii. The place where the disease is believed to have been acquired.
viii. Risk factors for the disease including, without being limited to, previous exposure to a health care setting and history of antibiotic use.
2. This Regulation comes into force on the day it is filed.