ontario regulation 459/09
made under the
police services act
Made: November 25, 2009
Filed: December 7, 2009
Published on e-Laws: December 8, 2009
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: December 26, 2009
Amending Reg. 926 of R.R.O. 1990
(Equipment and Use of Force)
1. Section 14.2 of Regulation 926 of the Revised Regulations of Ontario, 1990 is amended by adding the following subsection:
(3) Despite subsection (2), a member of a police force who has not successfully completed a training course on the use of firearms during the twelve previous months and who has been granted additional time to take the training course under subsection 14.3 (2) may carry a firearm for the period of additional time granted.
2. Section 14.3 of the Regulation is revoked and the following substituted:
14.3 (1) Subject to subsection (2), every chief of police shall ensure that, at least once every twelve months,
(a) every member of the police force who may be required to use force on other persons takes a training course on the use of force;
(b) every member of the police force who is authorized to carry a firearm takes a training course on the use of firearms.
(2) If it was not reasonably possible for a member of a police force to take a training course on the use of force or on the use of firearms within the time required by subsection (1), the chief of police may grant the member additional time, not to exceed 60 days, to take the course.
(3) If a member of the police force has been granted additional time to take a training course under subsection (2), the chief of police shall ensure that the member takes the training course within that additional time period.
(4) The chief of police shall maintain records of the training courses taken by members of the police force on the use of force and the use of firearms and of any grants of additional time to take a training course given under subsection (2).
3. This Regulation comes into force on the day it is filed.