Advisory Council on the Status of Women Act
CHAPTER 3 OF THE REVISED STATUTES, 1989
An Act to Establish an Advisory
Council on the Status of Women
1 This Act may be cited as the Advisory Council on the Status ofWomen Act. 1977, c. 3, s. 1.
2 In this Act,
(a) "Council" means the Advisory Council on the Status ofWomen established pursuant to Section 3;
(b) "Executive Director" means the Executive Directorappointed pursuant to Section 5;
(c) "Minister" means the member of the Executive Councilwho is charged by the Governor in Council with theadministration of this Act. 1977, c. 3, s. 2.
3 (1) There is hereby established a Council to be known as theAdvisory Council on the Status of Women.
(2) The Council shall be composed of such members as are appointed by the Governor in Council on the recommendation of the Minister.
(3) The Governor in Council shall designate one of the members ofCouncil to be President of the Council.
Initial term of member
(4) The President and at least one half of the remaining members ofthe Council shall be appointed for a term not exceeding three yearsand the remaining members of the Council shall be appointed for aterm not exceeding two years.
(5) The President and each member of the Council shall be eligiblefor re-appointment upon expiry of the term.
(6) Each member appointed to the Council subsequent to theappointments made pursuant to subsection (4) shall be appointed forterms not exceeding three years.
(7) Each member of the Council may be paid such remuneration forattendance at meetings of the Council as is determined by theGovernor in Council.
(8) The President and each member of the Council shall be paidsuch travelling and living expenses incurred by them in theperformance of their duties as are determined by the Governor inCouncil. 1977, c. 3, s. 3; 1978, c. 41, s. 2.
4 (1) The Council shall
(a) advise the Minister upon such matters relating to thestatus of women as are referred to the Council forconsideration by the Minister;
(b) bring to the attention of the Minister matters ofinterest and concern to women.
(2) The Council in carrying out its duties pursuant to subsection (1)may
(a) receive and hear petitions and suggestionsconcerning the status of women;
(b) undertake and recommend research on mattersrelevant to the status of women;
(c) recommend and participate in programs concerningthe status of women;
(d) propose legislation, policies and practices to promoteequality of opportunity and status; and
(e) publish reports, studies and recommendations. 1977,c. 3, s. 4.
5 (1) The Governor in Council may appoint a person to beExecutive Director of the Council.
(2) The Executive Director shall be paid such remuneration as isdetermined by the Governor in Council.
(3) The Executive Director shall perform such functions and dutiesas are assigned to the Executive Director by the Council, the Ministeror the Governor in Council and in particular shall
(a) keep and maintain the records of the Council;
(b) provide stenographic and other services required bythe Council; and
(c) supervise any research or other projects undertakenby the Council.
(4) Any staff required for the purposes of the Council may beappointed with the approval of the Minister pursuant to the provisionsof the Civil Service Act and that Act shall apply to the staff of theCommission. 1977, c. 3, s. 5.
Report to Minister
6 (1) The Council shall report from time to time to the Ministerand shall make an annual report to the Minister on the activities of theCouncil for each year.
(2) When the Council reviews, considers or inquires into any matterat the request or with the approval of the Minister, the Council shallmake a report to the Minister with respect to that matter at theconclusion of the deliberations. 1977, c. 3, s. 6.
7 (1) The Governor in Council may make regulations
(a) for the management, administration and conduct ofthis Act;
(b) prescribing the duties of the Executive Director andany other employees engaged pursuant to this Act;
(c) respecting any matter or thing that is necessary toeffectively carry out the intent and purpose of this Act.
(2) Regulations made pursuant to subsection (1) shall be regulationswithin the meaning of the Regulations Act. 1977, c. 3, s. 7.