Telecommunications Technical Standard (Voice frequency performance requirements for Customer Equipment) 2013
Telecommunications Act 1997
The AUSTRALIAN COMMUNICATIONS AND MEDIA AUTHORITY makes this Technical Standard under subsection 376 (1) of the Telecommunications Act 1997.
Dated: 19th June 2013
Australian Communications and Media Authority
Do not delete : Part Placeholder
Do not delete : Division Placeholder
1 Name of Technical Standard
(1) This Technical Standard is the Telecommunications Technical Standard (Voice frequency performance requirements for Customer Equipment) 2013.
(2) This Technical Standard may also be cited as AS/CA S004-2013.
Note The AS/CA Standard, as adopted by this Technical Standard, does not include any amendments made after the commencement of this Technical Standard. If amendments are made, the terms of this Technical Standard will differ from those of the AS/CA Standard unless the amendments are adopted by the ACMA.
This Technical Standard commences on 1 July 2013.
In this Technical Standard:
Act means the Telecommunications Act 1997.
AS/CA Standard means the Australian Standard / Communications Alliance Standard: Voice performance requirements for Customer Equipment (AS/CA S004:2013), published by Communications Alliance Ltd in January 2013.
facility has the same meaning as in subsection 374 (2) of the Act.
telecommunications network has the same meaning as in subsection 374 (1) of the Act.
Note The following words and expressions used in this Technical Standard are defined in section 7 of the Act:
· customer equipment
· emergency call service
· standard telephone service.
4 Objects of Technical Standard
The objects of this Technical Standard are:
(a) to protect the integrity of a telecommunications network or a facility; and
(b) to protect the health and safety of persons who:
(i) operate; or
(ii) work on; or
(iii) use services supplied by means of; or
(iv) are otherwise reasonably likely to be affected by the operation of;
a telecommunications network or a facility; and
(c) to ensure that customer equipment can be used to give access to an emergency call service; and
(d) to ensure, for the purposes of the supply of a standard telephone service, the interoperability of customer equipment with a telecommunications network to which the equipment is, or is proposed to be, connected.
5 Application of Technical Standard
This Technical Standard applies to customer equipment that is designed or intended:
(a) to transmit and receive voice frequency signals for voice communication, voice messages or tones by direct or indirect electrical or electro acoustic means; and
(b) for connection to a telecommunications network.
6 Standard for customer equipment
(1) Subject to subsection (2), the customer equipment to which this Technical Standard applies must comply with the AS/CA Standard.
(2) From 1 July 2013 until 30 June 2015, the customer equipment to which this Technical Standard applies is taken to comply with the AS/CA Standard if it complies with the 2008 Standard.
(3)In this section:
2008 Standard means the Australian Standard / Australian Communications Industry Forum Standard: Voice frequency performance requirements for Customer Equipment (AS/ACIF S004:2008), published by Communications Alliance Ltd in 2008.
1. All legislative instruments and compilations are registered on the Federal Register of Legislative Instruments kept under the Legislative Instruments Act 2003. See http://www.frli.gov.au.