Statement of Principles
PAGET'S DISEASE OF BONE
No. 50 of 2015
for the purposes of the
Veterans’ Entitlements Act 1986
Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004
1. This Instrument may be cited as Statement of Principles concerning Paget's disease of bone No. 50 of 2015.
2. The Repatriation Medical Authority under subsection 196B(3) and (8) of the Veterans’ Entitlements Act 1986 (the VEA):
(a) revokes Instrument No. 20 of 2006 concerning Paget's disease of bone; and
(b) determines in its place this Statement of Principles.
Kind of injury, disease or death
3. (a) This Statement of Principles is about Paget's disease of bone and death from Paget's disease of bone.
(b) For the purposes of this Statement of Principles, "Paget's disease of bone" means a disease of bone marked by repeated episodes of increased bone resorption followed by excessive attempts at repair, resulting in weakened, deformed bones of increased mass.
(c) Paget's disease of bone attracts ICD-10-AM code M88.
(d) In the application of this Statement of Principles, the definition of "Paget's disease of bone" is that given at paragraph 3(b) above.
Basis for determining the factors
4. After examining the available sound medical-scientific evidence the Repatriation Medical Authority is of the view that it is more probable than not on the sound medical-scientific evidence available, that the only factor that can be related to the cause of or material contribution to or aggravation of Paget's disease of bone or death from Paget's disease of bone and which can be related to relevant service rendered by veterans or members of the Forces under the VEA, or members under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 (the MRCA) is that set out in clause 5.
Factors that must be related to service
5. The factor that must exist before it can be said that, on the balance of probabilities, in relation to the circumstances of a person’s relevant service causing or materially contributing to or aggravating Paget's disease of bone or death from Paget's disease of bone is inability to obtain appropriate clinical management for Paget's disease of bone.
6. For the purposes of this Statement of Principles:
"death from Paget's disease of bone" in relation to a person includes death from a terminal event or condition that was contributed to by the person’s Paget's disease of bone;
"ICD-10-AM code" means a number assigned to a particular kind of injury or disease in The International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems, 10th Revision, Australian Modification (ICD-10-AM), Eighth Edition, effective date of 1 July 2013, copyrighted by the Independent Hospital Pricing Authority, and having ISBN 978-1-74128-213-9;
"relevant service" means:
(a) eligible war service (other than operational service) under the VEA;
(b) defence service (other than hazardous service and British nuclear test defence service) under the VEA; or
(c) peacetime service under the MRCA;
"terminal event" means the proximate or ultimate cause of death and includes:
(b) respiratory failure;
(c) cardiac arrest;
(d) circulatory failure; or
(e) cessation of brain function.
7. This Instrument applies to all matters to which section 120B of the VEA or section 339 of the MRCA applies.
Date of effect
8. This Instrument takes effect from 30 March 2015.
Dated this twenty-seventh day of February 2015
The Common Seal of the )
Repatriation Medical Authority )
was affixed at the direction of: )
PROFESSOR NICHOLAS SAUNDERS AO